Thirty-Five: FROM FRIENDS TO DATES

Eliza tried to keep her breathing even, resisting the urge to fist her hands around the delicate fabric of her dress.

"Babe, you okay?" Raquel asked, her pink dress more poofy and decorated that Eliza's plain blue dress. Eliza didn't mind, she'd made her dress herself.

"I wish I didn't have to be in this wheelchair for the dance. I want to get up there and dance with all of you." Eliza pouted.

The two were already at the cultral hall of Dakota City's Mormon Stake Center for Mormon Prom, waiting for the team to show up. A few Mormon teens were sprinkled through the gym, dancing and bopping their heads. It was still early in the evening. Not everyone could be expected to show up right on time.

Raquel glanced across the hall to where Eliza's parents were stationed by the buffet table. They had finally agreed to let her leave the house and go to Mormon Prom, so long as they could chaperone, keep an eye on her, and meet her mysterious new friend. They had been a little angry to find out she had been texting a complete stranger for months, but relented when Raquel vouched for him. Although Raquel wasn't a Mormon, she was Eliza's best friend, and extremely trustworthy.

Raquel leaned down to whisper to Eliza, pushing her closer to the gym entrance. "Don't worry, Kal's pretty strong. If we can't hide you dancing on your feet from your parents, then he can pick you up and twirl you around." Raquel grinned as Eliza's innocent cheeks blushed pink.

"So when are we gonna meet your friends, Raquel?" Ronnie asked. Both he and Raquel refused to dance and leave Eliza alone until her date had shown up.

"They'll be here, don't worry," Raquel promised the seventeen-year-old priest.

"Raquel, Ronnie! Come dance with us!" The priest and laurel classes from Eliza's ward called, waving them over to the circle they'd formed in the middle of the gym.

"We'll be there, Becca!" Raquel hollared back over the din of "Cupid Shuffle". The dance circles broke apart and even a few wallflowers lined up to join in the dance.

Ronnie shook his head. "They're wasting this song, playing it so early in the dance. They gotta play it at the height of the dance, when everyone's here!" He lamented.

"Tell me about it!"

Raquel and Eliza yelped as a gust of wind blew past, and a certain goofy red-head was suddenly leaning on Ronnie's shoulder.

"Wally!" Raquel yelled.

Eliza struggled to turn her wheelchair around as someone behind them chuckled.

"Sorry I lost track of my boyfriend for a while, there." The blonde ponytail in a green dress could only be Artemis.

"Hi Eliza!" Another redhead and a dark brunette ran forward, gently hugging Eliza around her wheelchair.

"It's so nice to finally meet you!" The redhead squealed. "I'm Megan, and that's Zatanna and Artemis, and you just met Wally, Connor's over there, Robin's next to Zee, and that's Kal- oh wait you already met him- I'm so excited to be here!" M'gann said.

"I can tell," Eliza chuckled, breathing heavily as she was finally released from the grip of the Martian-in-disguise.

"Pleasure to meet you, m'lady," Wally- Kid Flash- said smoothly, kissing the back of Eliza's hand.

"Sorry Kal," Artemis apologized in an exaggerated whisper, "He thinks it makes me jealous, but it really doesn't."

Eliza laughed. Still holding her hand, Wally huffed and turned to his date.

"Would you care to dance, milady?" He bowed deeply, now holding his hand out to her.

"It's a line dance, Wallace." Artemis said, but she smiled.