Twenty-Eight: FROM WATCHING TO WONDERING

THIS IS SO CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED

M'gann popped popcorn while Wally dumped every bit of junk food in the cave onto the kitchen island for them to snack on while they watched. Robin had helped Raquel hack the security cameras in the school auditorium, and now the team had a live view of the stage, hidden behind the curtains.

Kaldur found the hum of soon-to-be audience members annoying as they chatted in anticipation for the show to start. The curtains rustled, and he thought he saw Eliza's head peering out from the side of the stage before she quickly ducked back out of sight. 

"How long is it gonna be?" Connor asked impatiently, sitting on the end of the couch opposite of Kaldur.

Zatanna hopped onto the empty cushion next to Kal, leaving space for M'gann to squeeze in next to her boyfriend. "The flyer Raquel sent me says it starts at six-thirty, so it's only ten more minutes."

"They've still gotta do makeup and pep-talks and Eliza probably has to go over everyone's costumes one more time as well as making sure she's got the lines down." Artemis shrugged, sipping the soda Wally handed her.

Finally, after what felt like forever, the lights in the auditorium went down, a voice in a ridiculous French accent announcing the play and reminding all cell phones be turned off during the performance, since there was a short intermission sooner or later. 

The music started up with a loud, energetic flourish, a single spotlight shining on the curtains as they parted, and lighting up a single ship onstage. Prince Eric's actor was very energetic, though maybe a bit over the top. King Triton's actor wasn't a very good actor, to be honest, but that was overshadowed by Sebastian the Crab and the dainty Daughters of Triton

And then came Eliza.

Her enthusiasum over the fork- also known as a dinglehopper- was contaigious, and the grade-school kid who had been invited to play Flounder worked perfectly with her. 

Ursula's actress was overdramatic, but still villainous, and Eliza's costume conveyed it. Wally and Robin were both in stitches by the end of Ursula's song. 

And then Eliza began to sing. 

Kaldur felt his heart stop as she sung of her treasures  and her longing for the surface world. Not only did the song resonate with him, but Eliza's voice was more beautiful than anything he'd ever heard before.

"Oh my gosh you guys, Kaldur's blushing!" Zatanna squealed.

"Are you sure you don't have a fever?" Connor asked, sounding a little concerned. M'gann giggled, kicking her feet up in the air and nearly knocking over the bowl of popcorn.

Artemis snorted. "Kal, you look like a tomato."

"Hush, the play is still going," Kaldur nodded towards the screen.

They had a fifteen minute break, the intermission, and almost instantly Kaldur's phone buzzed, as did everyone else's.

---

Siren🎭:

Well, what do you think??

Aqualad🌊:

You are doing wonderfully, Eliza

Siren🎭:

Oh thank goshness, I thought I was a flop, in case you couldn't tell from all the sweat flooding down my face.

Kid Flash⚡:

Trust me, Liz, you look awesome up there. It's like it's where you're meant to be. 

Zatanna🔮:

I want to drown you in flowers right now, you are so good.

Siren🎭:

Oh my gosh stop it you guys, I'm blushing!

Robin💻: 

Just like Kal was when you were singing.

Rocket☄️: 

Wait, really????

Aqualad🌊:

Part of Your World was done very beautifully, Eliza, you should be very proud of yourself.

Zatanna🔮:

HE'S DOING IT AGAIN

Siren🎭:

Oh gosh, sorry guys, I gotta get my hair and make-up re-done before I go back on. And this girl needs at least five Rice krispie treats before she goes back on stage STAT or I'm gonna faint.

Aqualad🌊:

Are you feeling alright?

Artemis🏹: 

Girl, you better not have cancer again.

Siren🎭:

I don't, I don't, I promise. I'm just feeling a little out of breath. I should have practiced the movements to go with the singing more.

Aqualad🌊:

You're doing fine, Eliza. You are amazing.

---

He typed out one more message, hoping that it would give her encouragement, but then thought against it and deleted it before it could send. If it didn't encourage her, it would be bound to distract her, and keep her from doing her best, and that was what she wanted to do right now. He couldn't ruin her big night.

Though, he couldn't deny the jealousy he felt during the boat scene. While Sebastian and all the other sea creatures were closing in, encouraging Prince Eric to kiss Ariel, all of his friends were scooting in his direction, eying him knowingly.

Still, he did exhale a breath he didn't know he'd been holding when Ursula's eels interrupted the kiss.

The fight scene between Ursula and Ariel and her friends went by quickly, but Kaldur could see that Eliza was straining.

"Is she okay?" Artemis asked. Eliza was leaning ever so slightly on Triton's trident for support until she had to give it back to him, and then Flounder stood in front of her, to hide the fact that she was leaning on him. 

"Something's wrong," Zatanna confirmed. All of them were leaning forward, as if the grainy feed could tell them anymore about what was going on with Eliza.

Prince Eric's actor met Eliza and the others center stage after the mermaid-to-human transition, but he didn't seem to get the hint that Eliza needed help to make it through the scene. Kaldur wanted to slap him for being so dense.

Her final solo was breathy, but she managed to pull through it with a painful smile. Kaldur quickly texted Raquel, asking her if she knew what was going on. Raquel texted back that she had no idea, but there was nothing she could do while Eliza was onstage and the play was almost over anyway.

Eliza hid her lack of voice under everyone else's during the final note, and during the bows Raquel walked out with her to help her take her final bows.

And then Eliza fainted.

The auditorium was in an uproar. They could hear Raquel shouting, begging for someone to call 911. Someone shouting that they were an ER nurse was forcing through the crowd that had been on their feet for applause, but now to see what was going on, just like the team

"She's still alive! I can see her moving!" Wally said, his face almost up against the TV glass for a better look. Robin was working on trying to get the feed to zoom in.

Kaldur sank back into the couch, his heart still pounding. A few minutes later, an ambulance crew forced their way through the crowd, spoke with an anxious Raquel for a moment, and carried Eliza out on a gurney, Raquel not too far behind.

And then they got another text.