Chapter 1

Hello :) I do not own any characters, plot, kingdoms, names, etc... All of it belongs to Sarah J Maas. Contains Empire of Storms spoilers. Just wrote this because the waiting for Tower of Dawn and the final book in the series (May 2018) was too much.

I am Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius.

I will not be afraid.

Cairn was growling in her face. Again. "You're lucky, today," he hissed at her. "Maeve wants you in the throne room."

Aelin grinned through bloodied and bruised lips.

"Don't worry," Cairn said, unchaining her. The chains ran from all four walls to make her stand, trapped in the middle of it as Cairn beat her into a pulp. "Your lashings will be coming later, Princess." He winked at her.

"Maeve wants you dressed," Cairn said, throwing a shirt at her. "As much as I like seeing a woman's body. It's what my Queen wants."

Aelin glared at him through swollen eyes. The darkness from the iron box, then the sudden exposure to light had damaged her eyes. Her back was still split open from all her other lashings these last two weeks. Aelin pulled on the shirt, gritting her teeth through the pain. She wouldn't give Cairn the satisfaction of ogling her, no matter how much she wanted to piss Maeve off. The blood from her body instantly stained the white shirt.

If it had been anyone else unlocking her, they would have been dead before the last shackle was removed from her wrist. But, Aelin knew that, in her weakened state, she couldn't bring down Cairn.

As if reading her mind, he laughed. "Nice try, Princess." He dug his nails into her arm as he pulled her towards the door.

Maeve was sitting in her dark robes, grinning like a predator with it prey being caught for it.

"Bitch." Aelin tilted her heading in greeting. Her voice was only a hoarse whisper. She needed something to drink or she'd die in a few days.

Maeve grinned seemed to grow. "I do love your disgusting mouth, Aelin. It does amuse me." She waved to a servant, who scurried off. "At least you put clothes on her this time, Cairn."

"As you requested, Majesty," Cairn said, slightly bowing.

The servant came back with Fenrys in tow.

"Majesty," he bowed on one knee. His face looked drained. Aelin suspected that's what Maeve oath did: it drained you.

"Fenrys," Maeve uttered his name as if he was a disappointment, a humiliation. "Look at her, Fenrys." His head snapped towards Aelin, barely being able to stand. "Do you think she has had enough punishment?"

Fenrys' eyes widened. "It is not for me to decide, Majesty."

"No, but you did decide to fight against your own family to protect this. You haven't even asked about Conall."

Fenry just gaped at his queen.

She tapped her nails on the arm of her throne. "You'll be relieved to know he is safe and unharmed." Relief washed over Fenrys face. "I tell you this out of kindness."

"Thank you, Majesty," he breathed. He got down on one knee and bowed again.

"That is why I will be sending him to Morath to help fight Erawan," Maeve frowned at him.

Fenrys rose to his feet. "Why?"

"Did I say rise?" Maeve's voice was hard. "No, bow to me." He did just that. "I will be sending him to Morath because he is one of my warriors that I can trust - you did that yourself, Fenrys. I would have offered you the position if you hadn't been so foolish."