Chapter 5

"Is there any specific reason you sent my husband away?" Aelin asked, wryly.

"I need to inform your Majesty of something in private," Yrene said, glancing at the others who were pretending not to hear.

Manon and Elide broke out into an argument. "You're not staying with Lorcan in the North. You're coming to the Wastes with me and Ansel."

Elide shook her head. "My home is in Terrasen - in Perranth. I already offered Lorcan a home there."

"Its not happening-"

"I am a grown woman. I may be crippled," she winced at her foot. "But you do not rule me, Manon."

"Will you two stop?" Aelin snapped. "I need to heal in peace. Take it outside." Aelin didn't really care where they had the argument but the healer was desperate for some privacy.

Manon was fuming as she stepped into the courtyard. Dorian slipped his hand into hers.

"Let the girl create a home with the man she loves," Dorian murmured. "She will be protected wherever she goes."

Manon grunted. She knew that of course, she was just too stubborn to let Elide go.

"Besides you to help me rule Adarlan again," Dorian told her as she nearly stumbled over a rock.

"Elide," Lorcan gripped her hand. "When we go home, I will marry you." Elide smiled at him and he stroked her jaw and kissed her.

Gavriel stood with Fenrys, supporting him. "What will you do?" He asked Lysandra.

"I'm going to serve Queen Aelin," Lysandra said as if it was so obvious.

Gavriel shook his head. "When will you let the boy in?" He smiled at the shifter. "He loves you, Lysandra. At least tell him how you feel."

Choal was hugging Nesryn. "Do waste this chance at life," he told Lysandra as the gold band on his finger glinted in the sunlight. Nesryn flashed her own matching ring at Lysandra.

Lysandra was about to open her mouth, but the healer came out. "Is everything ok?"

"She just needs a minute...to rest," Yrene said, her lips tight.

"She can rest later," Manon said heading for the throne room.

Aelin had climbed to her feet and braced herself against one of the stone pillars. It was difficult to breathe.

Lysandra rushed over to her. "Aelin, are you ok?"

Aelin shook herself. She cleared her thoughts and looked at Lysandra.

"Is this about building the better world?" Elide asked gently.

Oh, gods. She hadn't even thought about that yet. She knew she would do it but she it hadn't really sunk in yet.

Lorcan kicked Cairn's head across the floor. Aelin grinned at him.

"I'm ok," Aelin whispered. She walked over to Maeve's body and kicked her head over to Cairn's. Manon and Dorian dragged the rest of their bodies into the centre of the room. Aelin dropped into Maeve's old throne and swung her legs over the golden arms.

"Testing it out, Majesty?" Dorian asked with a wicked grin.

"It's not very comfortable," Aelin replied. "Maybe that's why she was so bitter." She flexed her hands and shot out a blast of her power towards the bodies. The went up in flames.

They didn't deserve a decent burial. They deserved to be ashes.

Rowan returned with Aedion. Lysandra threw her arms around Aedion's neck and planted her lips on his.

Aelin laughed and created a crown of fire about hers and Rowan's heads. Rowan fell to his knees, bowing his head. Everyone followed and bowed to the Queen of the better world, their saviour of the ashes of this world.