Chapter 13

Her day was about to get even crappier.

Aelin drew a shaky breath as she stood in front of the doors that could determine her fate. She silently prayed to every god she had heard of. This time she wouldn't face Darrow with the swagger of an assassin. No, this time she would face him with the debonair attitude of a Queen.

Aedion did the honours of pushing open the double doors. He greeted Ren and Murtaugh, who stood with Evangeline between them. The young girl rushed to Lysandra with her arms flung wide open.

Evangeline glanced at Aelin, clinging to Lysandra's dress. "Fleetfoot is back at the house," she told Aelin.

Aelin hadn't realised she'd been worried about the dog until a wave of relief hit her. "Thank you," Aelin whispered to the girl.

Darrow, who hadn't risen out of his chair, glared at her. She bowed her head to him. "Lord Darrow," she said respectfully. She took the seat opposite him. "I believe I have fulfilled my promise of raising an army - which defeated Erawan." And Maeve, but she didn't want to mention that bitch right then.

Darrow's expression didn't change. "I am aware of Terrasen's victory. Where were you, Aelin Galathynius? Did you run from the fight, leaving your friend as an imposter?" He gestured to Lysandra.

Rowan tensed behind her. It was her question to answer. She smoothed down her dress, carefully avoiding her bump.

"I organised what I could before I was captured," Aelin said and Darrow blinked. "Queen Maeve decided to try gain an advantage during the war." She lowered her eyes, "She failed, of course."

Ren gaped at her, mirroring his grandfather. Except Murtaugh managed to say, "Please inform us, Majesty."

So Murtaugh thought of her as his Queen. "Which part would you like to my Lord? How I took the place of a child of Terrasen? How she chained me in an iron coffin with a mask?" It had been a coffin, not a box. Not when it was hard to breathe. She clamped down on the memory. "Or how one of her cronies whipped me until I was one strike away from death?" She met Darrow's hard gaze. "I suffered to protect. I would have sacrificed myself for Terrasen - heir or not. But, my court of oath-breakers and whores and assassins," she casually waved her hand in a gesture to them, "kept their promises. They brought down Erawan. They brought down Maeve. They were essential to Terrasen's future. If they cannot be accepted then I do not wish to be Queen of a kingdom where people continuously prove themselves for others to show them their backs."

"Aelin," Lysandra whispered.

"Adarlan will only make alliance with Aelin Galathynius, the rightful Queen of Terrasen," Dorian interjected.

"The same condition applies to the Wastes," Manon added.

"Aelin could very well conquer all of Erelia, if she wished," Chaol added. He winked at her, and Aelin knew he trusted her and her power. She no longer scared him. "You would be a stubborn, old moron not to accept her as Queen."

Nesryn nudged Chaol in warning. But, it didn't matter.

Aelin shook her head. "I suppose I could sit here and argue with you as to why I should be on Terrasen's throne."

Darrow drummed his stubby fingers on the desk in front of them. He looked bored - and annoyed.

"There is no point," Aelin said to her court. "Lord Darrow has already met with the other Lords of Terrasen. They have already decided without actually meeting me."

"No," Murtaugh said, slipping into his jacket. Her court tensed behind her. He pulled out an ivory envelope. "They have watched you since you arrived - the real you," he smiled. "They have seen you interact with your people. They listened to your speech. They have studied the scars on your body." He gestured to her dress. "The Lords voted about ten minutes before you got here."