Chapter 30

Aedion had ran after the witch with the guards. He came storming back into the ball room, his face red with rage. He shook his head. The witch had disappeared.

Aelin was still frozen on the spot. What had she done?

Rowan picked up her goblet of water and sniffed it. He then dipped his magic into the water, swirling it. He frowned. There hadn't been anything in her drink. She was trained in these things. The witch had to be-

A pulse happened in her stomach, making Aelin jump. She clutched it. Lysandra ran over and grabbed her. Rowan passed the goblet to Manon and joined his mate.

Manon sniffed it and ran a palm over the top of the water. She bit her lip and looked at Aelin. Dorian passed the goblet to Yrene. Rowan moved towards them, letting Lysandra help Aelin back to her throne.

"Shit," Chaol said from where he stood beside Nesryn.

Aelin looked down at herself. Her bump had grown bigger. The pain subsided and Aelin sat down, waving her hand at the fussing shifter.

"Tell me what is going on," Rowan demanded at Manon.

The witch paled even more than her skin. "It's a speeding spell. It's very ancient - it is no longer used. The witches used it to speed up childbirth since it was a difficult thing for us."

Elide passed Aelin a fresh glass of water after letting Lorcan check it for any other magic or poison. She gulped it down.

"What happens?" Lysandra asked, approaching Manon.

"Instead of having the full nine months..." Manon looked at Aelin, "She will have days."

.

.

Chatter amongst the court spread like fire. Aelin felt her body go back to normal, though her bump was bigger. She did not want that witch to ruin her plans for the ball.

Rowan stood with the healers, Dorian and Manon, demanding what could be done about it. Aedion argued with Fenrys and Gavriel about the best plan to catch the witch. Everyone else must be sharing stories or rumours about the witches.

The conversations buzzed around her head like flies, making her head spin. Aelin rose from her throne, only a few people noticing. She headed towards the pianoforte. The musicians had used the distraction as a break for drinks.

Aelin lifted the lid and began to play. The chatter died as the attention turned to the Queen of Terrasen playing the song she'd learnt in Adarlan when Sam had bought her the sheet music.

The questions and stress in her mind flowed out with the music. She hit every note perfectly and did not hesitate. She forgot how many people were watching her. It was just her and the music.

.

When Aelin finished, she was greeted with calming silence. She rose from the pianoforte and said, "I thought it was better than screaming at you all to shut your faces."

There was a few chuckles and then light applause which grew heavier. Rowan strode towards her and offered her a hand to her throne.

Aelin sighed before she addressed her guests. "For twelve years, music and the arts have been silenced by those with evil intentions. Tonight I had plans to welcome the arts home to Terrasen. I will not allow one more threat prevent that."

Rowan flashed her a look that asked if she was ok now. She nodded.

"I believe I have not finished announcing my plans for Terrasen and this castle," Aelin smiled. She laced her hands together, no longer shaking. She glanced at the musicians who began to play softly in the background. "Joining the aforementioned, is His Majesty, Dorian Havilliard, King of Adarlan... Lord Chaol Westfall and his wife, Lady Nesryn Westfall..."