Chapter 27

Rolfe grinned at her. "I see that you keep you're promises, Majesty." He looked at her stomach. His brows rose. "Been busy, I see."

Rowan growled.

"Easy there," Rolfe murmured. He turned to her court. "My two escorts filled me in, and I know exactly what you are going to ask."

"Any luck?" Aelin asked as she reached for glass of water. Something tingled inside her.

Rolfe shook his head and looked at his inked hands. "The map is...off. It's constantly flickering between two versions. Whoever is causing your problems doesn't want to be found."

Aedion's face twisted as he realised Aelin's plans. "You were going to rely on Rolfe?"

"I happen to think he's been quite reliable," Aelin retorted.

"You can't get a sense of what type of magic they are using?" Rowan asked.

"If you mean whether it's fae or witch or something else, then no," Rolfe said, lowering his hands. "Only something dark and ancient."

"That would be the wrydmarks," Elide mumbled.

Rolfe looked at the girl and Lorcan growled. He threw his hands up, proclaiming his innocence. Fenrys chuckled.

"There must be some way to find out who's doing this," Dorian groaned.

Rolfe looked at Aelin. "Who have you pissed off now?"

Everyone smirked at her.

"They have already asked me that," Aelin scowled.

Rowan huffed a laugh and said to the Pirate Lord, "she's being a good female."

Aelin clenched her fists. "Don't make me hit you," she warned him.

Rowan just chuckled.

Rolfe sat down beside the Queen. "Despite the red anger in your face, Majesty, I must say you are simply glowing."

The amusement in Rowan's face. He put a protective arm around Aelin's waist. It took Aelin a second to realise he meant her being with child and not her actually glowing with her fire.

"Thank you, Rolfe. Can always count on you for compliments."

"Ass-kisser," Rowan 'coughed'.

.

.

Aelin knocked on Chaol and Nesryn's chambers. There was no answer but Aelin barged in anyway, praying she wasn't intruding on their privacy.

She found Nesryn in pants and a tunic, sitting at the desk. "What do you want?"

"For you to realise that Chaol loves you." Aelin slipped into one of the other chairs. "You're married to him, Nesryn."

"That means nothing. I said my vows not knowing he still loves you," she stared at the paper in front of her.

"Chaol...broke that last shattered piece of me. Then Rowan put me back together again, whilst Chaol thought I was a monster. We've only just managed to be on good terms again - as friends," Aelin explained as she flicked a piece of dirt on her pants that wasn't there.

Nesryn turned in her chair. "That doesn't stop him from loving you...even if you don't love him."

"Chaol doesn't love me," Aelin pleaded. "Remember, you were there. He hated me."

Nesryn shook her head. "He only hated you because you're the King's Champion. You abandoned your own kingdom and he is trying to get the rebels out of Adarlan."