Chapter 14

Queen of Terrasen.

Aelin felt like she was going to pass out. She knew she could be Queen but she had never prepared herself for actually being Queen. She had prepared herself for torture, for judgement, for death, even.

Rowan had read the document over her shoulder and then passed it to Lysandra. She cried, passed the document to Aedion, and told Evangeline what it said.

"Does that mean no more swearing, Lysandra?" Evangeline asked. "You're a Lady now."

Lysandra snorted. Aelin would have said something witty, had she not still been in shock.

"Chaol," Nesryn whispered. They clearly needed to discuss where they should live. Aelin had a feeling that Choal would not leave Dorian to rebuild Adarlan on his own, and neither would she.

Rowan sank into the chair beside her and gripped her hand so hard she thought her would break her bones. "I'm King," he whispered. "Holy shit, I'm King."

Dorian clapped a hand on his shoulder as he handed Manon the document. "I know exactly how that feels." He grinned at the Fae warrior - the Fae King.

Manon sighed. "You kept your promise," she said to Aelin. Aelin met her gold eyes and nearly let out a sob.

Lorcan read the document to Elide, as her reading skills weren't much better. "Home," she whispered. "I get to go home." She looked at Lorcan and added, "With you."

He wrapped his arms around her. He wouldn't be alone anymore. He had a place to call home. He had someone to love, and friends to protect.

Darrow looked at Aelin. "You seem surprised, Majesty."

Almost three years ago she had been planning to run from her fate. To run away with Sam. Now she was here. 'Go live the life you've always dreamed of', Sam had told her. Somehow he had known. The life she really wanted was full of music and magic, love and laughter, of Terrasen's pine and snow. She looked at Rowan, his face had gone pale. She could never have become Queen without Sam, he showed her that she had a heart. Nhemia showed her that she was a fighter. But Rowan...he showed her she could do anything - and he would be right there, helping her. 'You're going to make a great Queen', Nhemia's last words to her.

"I am surprised because I have had many names: Princess, Celaena Sardothein, Adarlan's Assassin, Lilian Gordianna, the King's Champion, Elentyia, Fire-breathing-bitch," she glanced at Lorcan with amusement in her eyes. "But somehow," besides Fireheart, "Queen of Terrasen...just fits." She shrugged unable to explain how she felt.

"Majesty," Ren spoke up, "I know that officially you have to recognise us," he gestured to him and his grandfather, "as part of the court. But please, off the record, do you personally accept us amongst your friends in the court?"

Aelin smiled. "After everything?" Ren fidgeted with his fingers. "Of course, I do, Ren." She rose from her chair and Darrow mirrored her. "We shall prepare to travel to Orynth. We should arrive in time for dinner, so please dispatch a message ahead of our arrival."

"Are you eating for two?" Darrow asked and Aelin's heart missed a beat. "Or shall I organise a formal dinner for all your court?" Darrow frowned at her racing heart. He knew she was keeping a secret.

"We did not wear these fine clothes for no reason, Darrow," Aelin grinned at him.

Aelin walked into the Inn's garden. Darrow had made sure that the Inn was free from the public. Ansel had be patrolling the gardens when Aelin had came outside. She fought to catch her breath.

"It's a strange feeling isn't it?" Ansel said as she stepped beside Aelin.

"What, being Queen?" Aelin huffed a laugh.

"No," Ansel smiled. "Everything is going right."

Aelin nodded. "It's too easy. Something always goes wrong."

"Don't forget that you always deal with it and survive," Ansel pointed out. They let a breeze fill the blissful silence. "Yrene is looking after Fleetfoot. She's quite a beast."

Aelin laughed at the thought. The smile vanished from her face. "How will I enter that room?"

Ansel knew exactly what room she was talking about. She shrugged. "All I know is that for twelve years you've never stopped fighting, no matter how hard it's been. So you can either avoid that room forever and lock the door..."

And be ashamed of her parents' death? No. She shook her head. "I won't do that. When I am ready...I'll open that door."

Murtaugh stepped into the garden and Ansel stood, ready to fight. "Majesty," the old man bowed and Ansel eased herself. "When will you announce to the Lords that you are with child?"

Aelin threw her hand to her stomach. There was no point in denying it, not when any Fae could sense it on her without Rowan's shield. Rowan was currently packing and planning their travels. But Murtaugh, he was not Fae so how could he have known?

"You have that glow," he said and waved his hand. "Any man that paid attention to his wife whilst she was pregnant would recognise that glow."

Aelin sucked on the inside of her cheek. "Will I be removed as heir if I announced the pregnancy?"

Murtaugh shook his head. "No, that document is signed - with multiple copies in hidden locations."

"What if..." Aelin trailed off. She shouldn't discuss this. Not yet.

"What if it's just like you?" Murtaugh offered. "Then Terrasen is lucky to have such powerful rulers. You mastered your power. So can your child."

"Thank you," Aelin whispered.

"When would you suggest announcing such a thing?" Ansel quizzed the man.

"In front of the Lords, at the dinner tonight."