Chapter 21

Rowan swiped at his eyes when Aelin stopped playing. She closed the lid to the pianoforte.

"So this is where it happened..." Rowan murmured.

Aelin nodded. "I've been dreading this moment ever since we killed Maeve." Rowan tensed at that bitch's name. "But somehow...I'm ok." She looked at him. "I'm ok," she repeated to herself.

"Perhaps we could move the pianoforte into your own chambers back at the palace?" Rowan said as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

She sighed. "I don't know what to do with this room. I can't use it as my own chambers if we stay here. I refuse to frightened our child by using it as their rooms." Rowan kissed her neck. "I wouldn't want anyone else living in here..."

"But it's a waste," Rowan finished for her.

Aelin ran a flame through her fingers.  "I want to make it into a shrine. To remember those who have fallen."

"What better place to do it than where it all began," Rowan said, before he kissed.

.

.
They had ran back to the palace. With Rowan challenging her and teasing her, they had made it back within just over two hours instead of the full three. Dawn was still a couple hours away.

Aelin couldn't go back to sleep. She decided to go for a run with Rowan. They didn't run as fast as they could have because of the child inside her. As they rounded one part of the field they bumped into Chaol and Nesryn.

They skidded to a halt, neither of them panting. Aelin grinned at Chaol.

"I hope you're not being as hard on Nesryn as you was me," she teased.

Chaol smiled. "I remember having to slow down for you."

"Nonsense. You had to catch up with me, if you remember rightly." Aelin looked at Rowan, then at Nesryn. She said to the woman, "At least he doesn't torture us. Rowan was...fierce with his training."

Rowan preened at that.

"I would like to spar with you at some point, Majesty," Chaol said to Rowan. "Give me some real competition."

Aelin rolled her eyes. "Oh please, Nesryn is more of a challenge to me."

Nesryn chuckled. "Perhaps we could give them a run for their money?"

Aelin grinned at her. "It is done." Her stomach gurgled and a wave of nausea flooded Aelin.

"Should you be training?" Nesryn asked, watching Aelin frown.

Aelin drew in a few calming breaths.

"If you feel unwell then go back inside," Chaol demanded. "Don't do what you did when you were training for the competition."

Aelin waved her hand. "I hadn't eaten  properly back then. This is just a...side effect. I am fine."

Rowan placed a hand on her back. "You'll have to make the most of it. When you get larger, you won't be able to do this."

They broke out into a stroll. Aelin looped her arm through Nesryn's. "Tell me, will my child have a friend any time soon?"

Nesryn laughed. "Not yet. I think we're going to settle into things first."

Aelin nodded. It reminded her of her morning walks with Nhemia. She glanced at Chaol and his eyes told her he was thinking the same. "Will you be living in Adarlan or retiring to Anielle?"

"Well," Nesryn hesitated, "I wanted to take up my position as your Captain of the Guard, however, he-" a nod to Chaol - "doesn't wish to leave Dorian."

"After things settle here, we will take a trip to Adarlan and provide support to Dorian's cause," Aelin promised her.

"That is if you are well enough to travel," Rowan growled from behind them.

"If I am not able to travel myself, I will send some of our friends in my absence," Aelin said, glaring at Rowan. She turned back to Nesryn, "what are your plans today?"

"I was going to go to shopping with Elide," Nesryn told her.

"Dorian, Manon, and I," Chaol said, "are going to make plans to rebuild Adarlan today."

"Invite Aedion and we can have Lysandra come along with us."

"Us, Majesty?" Nesryn quizzed her.

"I want to go see the markets today," Aelin explained. "Perhaps, Rowan and Aedion can help Dorian as well as look for the magic wielder?"

Chaol nodded. "Perhaps we could plan a trap for them too - and include the other males?" He glanced at Rowan for approval.

Rowan smiled at him. Then he turned to the ladies in front. "I believe we should have some breakfast."

.

.

Aelin had thrown up her breakfast five minutes after eating it. Then the servants came in to dress her. Aelin had wished Phillipa had been there - at least the woman wasn't frightened to speak to her.

Lysandra was smiling as she looked through the carriage window. Nesryn was fidgeting in her seat, dressed in practical clothing. Elide asked how Aelin was feeling after this morning and kept glancing at her bump.

"What bothers you, Elide?" Aelin asked.

Elide chewed her lips. Aelin had scented Lorcan's claim on her as they had climbed into the carriage. "I hope I can be like my mother to your child," she whispered.

Aelin gripped Elide's gloved hand. "You will be, I promise."

"I just realised, Aelin," Lysandra said, straightening. "It will be your birthday in a few weeks."

"Everyone will get to celebrate it with you this year," Elide murmured.

She had spent her last birthday at Mistward. Rowan had left her alone most of the day, but brought her chocolates in the afternoon.

"It isn't fair," Aelin said. "All these celebrations and I cannot be as wild as I wish." She patted her bump. "Nesryn take Elide to the nearby stalls. Lysandra will you wait outside for me?"

The shifter nodded as the carriage holted. "What are you planning, Aelin?"

"I am going to update my will."