Chapter 28

Yrene had managed to stop whatever was happening to Aelin. Rowan had carried her into their bedroom and let her rest.

Rowan had fetched Nesryn and called a meeting. Chaol, still bloody from their fight, sat next to his wife. Rowan would have killed Chaol if it hadn't been for Aelin's voice. No one would take his Fireheart away from him. He knew Chaol had been under a spell. But Rowan couldn't help it. His instincts had blinded him.

Yrene sat on the other side of Chaol, healing his wounds. Rowan had insisted on healing his own wounds. Even though he yearned to watch over Aelin, he needed to talk with the others.

When everyone - including Rolfe - had sat down, Rowan began.

"Did you find them?" he asked Rolfe, who shook his head. "What happened?"

Gavriel answered, "They vanished off the map again. They somehow knew we were coming."

Rowan gave a reluctant nod. He would not sleep until he caught them.

"What happened to you?" Lysandra asked Chaol.

Aedion swore. "You got one hell of an ass-whooping."

Rowan hid his smile. "He was under a spell and things got out of hand."

Dorian frowned, looking round the table. "Where's Aelin?"

"She is...indisposed."

Dorian looked to Chaol. But it was Aedion who asked, "He didn't hurt her, did he?"

Rowan shook his head. "Aelin had tried using her fire to break Chaol's spell." Manon was nodding.

"The pain has to come from someone the recipient cares about," Manon explained.

Well that answers why my almost-killing him didn't work. Rowan continued, "However, when Aelin summoned her powers, only steam came out."

Elide gasped, and Lorcan asked, "Does she still have her powers?"

Rowan looked at the warrior. "I believe so. She told Yrene that it felt like what her mother used to do."

"Evalin used her water magic inside Aelin's body to control her fire when it got too much," Aedion explained to the others.

Manon rubbed her chin. "It is your child."

"Are you sure?" Lysandra asked.

Manon nodded. "If no one surrounding us can control water, and if it was sudden from the inside, it could only be your daughter."

Rowan looked at the table. His daughter has water magic. It made sense since Aelin's mother had it, and Rowan had ice powers... But it was the complete opposite of Aelin's. If another enemy had it, Aelin would struggle to fight them. She could turn the water to steam or boil it - on that Aelin might be able to win... But if her own daughter attacked her... Aelin wouldn't fight back.

"Can it kill her?" Fenrys asked quietly.

Manon nodded. "If it so wishes."

Fenrys swore.

Rowan sighed. "Is there any more news, or can we actually enjoy the ball tomorrow night?"

Lysandra glanced at Aedion, who was scowling. She looked at Rowan as she said, "Evangeline is Fae."

Rowan looked at Aedion. Why isn't he happy about that?

"The shift happened when she met Luca..." Lysandra continued.

"He claims," Aedion spat, "that he is Evangeline's mate."

Elide clasped her hands. "That's wonderful news."

"She's eleven," Aedion growled. "She hasn't even lived her life."

Rowan frowned. Aelin wasn't even twenty yet and she was already a soon-to-be mother...and a Queen.

But it was Luca. "Luca wouldn't do anything he shouldn't. He will respect the girl. But don't refuse him. Let him spend time with her, get to know her."

Lysandra nodded as Aedion went back to scowling. Rowan smiled. Aedion had settled into the father role comfortably. Luca...he's one lucky sod. It takes fae centuries to find their mate - sometimes they never do. But Luca gets to watch her grow up.

"What happens if Evangeline Settles during her childhood?" Dorian asked.

Gavriel shook his head. "It is impossible. It is only when she comes of age may she Settle."

They all glanced at Rowan. Maeve had said Aelin's Settling would happen in five years. Rowan looked to Manon. "Was she lying?"

Manon shrugged. "I didn't train in prophecies. It is possible Maeve was telling you the truth."

"What if she Settles whilst she is with child?" Lorcan asked.

Rowan shook his head. It was too rare for such a thing to happen. It was a good thing too, because if Aelin was to go into labour and Settle at the same time - it could kill her.

"When Elena told her everything in the mirror," Manon said, "she didn't mention your daughter. Perhaps she left it as a surprise. She didn't mention when Aelin would Settle either - just that she would have had a thousand more years with you."

Rowan let his relief show. He could trust Elena. He couldn't trust Maeve.

"I think we should all be unarmed tomorrow - even our guests," Aedion said, changing the subject. "Only the guards should have weapons. Just in case the magic wielder decides to make us turn on each other." He gave Chaol a pointed look.

"Agreed," Dorian said.

But there was nothing they could do about their magic if that were to happen.

Rowan just prayed that tomorrow's ball would be uneventful. But with Aelin's fiery personality nothing could be boring.