Chapter 18

Fenrys returned with Manon, Elide, and Dorian in tow. Elide bowed to Aelin and headed straight for Lorcan. Dorian bowed and sat on one of the arm chairs. Fenrys stood by the door and Manon came to stand behind Aelin. She tilted her head in greeting.

"Since when does everyone bow?" Aelin smirked. "We are all friends."

"But we must bow, Majesty," Elide said quietly. "It is a sign of respect and of your position."

"Ok, how about you only bow when we are in front of others who did not share our...experiences?" The group grunted in agreement. "So, now that is cleared up. Perhaps, I shall send for some drinks?" They grinned. "Manon, a word?"

Aelin stepped into the hallway and asked one of the patrolling guards to send up their drinks - with some nibbles. Manon watched as the guard scurried away.

"I know what you're going to ask," Manon said, pulling out a necklace from her dress. It was a small circle of a mirror. "I have been preparing it since you told us on the boat."

"Thank you," Aelin whispered to the witch.

"Why do you not wish to involve your mate?" Manon asked, swinging the pendant.

"I can't worry him - not after...not after Lyria," Aelin admitted.

"What do you wish to know first?" Manon asked, the mirror sparkling as the pendant swung faster.

Aelin couldn't think. There were so many questions she had. Her voice was quiet as she asked, "Will I survive the birth?"

Manon's eyes turned milky white. "It's...unclear. Left you let go...right you fight it..."

"What does that mean?" Aelin asked, frowning.

The witch blinked, her eyes returning to their gold colour. "I can't make sense of it, Aelin. I'm sorry..."

   .

.

The servants brought in their drinks and nibbles just as the clock on the mantel chimed nine. Chaol and Nesryn had followed Aelin and the witch inside her chambers. Rowan glanced at Aelin and she smiled at him. Her scent told him that she had many emotions running through her. He sniffed Manon. He caught a whiff of Dorian's scent, iron, something ancient, and her heart was pounding. She was excited about something. He looked back at Aelin. She was excited, too, but something - worries - kept blocking it out.

"Everyone grab a glass and head out to the balcony," Aelin ordered, picked up a bottle of champagne and sashayed outside.

"What's going on?" Elide asked, following her. Lorcan only a step behind.

They all lined up on the balcony. Rowan stood behind his mate, holding her and his child. He looked at Lorcan, he was holding on to Elide, never letting go. Chaol had an arm around his wife's waist. Dorian had draped his arm casually over Manon's shoulders. Gavriel and Fenrys stood beside Aelin.

"Your son," she said to Gavriel, "is about to find his place in this world."

Gavriel's eyes were shining. "I am so grateful I am here for this."

Rowan then realised what was going on as Aedion stepped out into the gardens below the balcony with Lysandra. Everyone kept still and silent.

With their fae hearing, they heard every loving thing Aedion said to Lysandra, making her laugh, as he led her towards one of the stone benches. It was next to a bush with bright coloured flowers on it. Aedion pulled off the flower as she sat down, and tucked it into Lysandra's hair.

Aedion used the distraction to kneel down in front of the shifter. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a black velvet box. He opened it to reveal the ring inside. Lysandra touched her face, in shock.

She stayed there for few seconds, staring at him. Staring at the ring. After what felt like a heart-breaking eternity, Lysandra broke out into a smile. She let him slip the ring on her finger before she threw herself on Aedion.

He kissed her and then roared, "She said yes!"

Everyone cheered and Aelin popped open the bottle of champagne that rocketed into the garden, soaking the nearby bushes.

Lysandra laughed and waved at her friends - her family. Nesryn shouted at them to come and join them when they were ready. Dorian told them there was no rush should they find themselves occupied.

Everyone except Lorcan and Rowan headed back inside. Rowan hadn't realised how big Aelin's rooms were until he saw it could entertain all of their friends. It must have been lonely for his mate when she was a little girl, having such a massive space and no one to share it with. Rowan was glad that wasn't the case anymore.

Lorcan frowned as he watched Lysandra and Aedion saunter back inside.

"What's wrong, Lorcan?"

He didn't look at Rowan when he said, "I promised Elide I will marry her."

"You better not break that promise," Rowan snarled. Not only would his Queen kill him, Rowan himself would kill the male. He was so obviously in love with the girl.

"I'm not going to," Lorcan shot him an evil look. "What if she doesn't want me? What if she wants someone from Terrasen?"

"She loves you, Lorcan," Rowan assured him.

"It'd look too forced if I did it now, after them," Lorcan gestured at the bench where Lysandra and Aedion had sat.

Rowan shook his head. "Elide won't think that."

"I wanted to do it when we arrived at our home," Lorcan admitted.

Rowan sighed. "I know, Gods, I know. I didn't want to marry Aelin at sea. She would have dreamt up all kinds of situations. I know I did. I dreamt that she would be Queen first. I hoped she would have settled before I proposed. I dreamt that I would propose. I didn't even get to do that."

"You know, you could do it again," Lorcan pointed out. "This time make it solely about your love. Forget the kingdom, forget that she's Queen."

"I suppose..." Rowan rubbed his chin. "I wouldn't know what she would want."

"Does she have a diary laying around here from when she was little?" Lorcan asked. "Most girls would have written it in there."

Rowan chuckled. "Elide has made your immortal heart soft."

Lorcan shrugged. "Tired of being pissed." He looked at the floor. "I'm not immortal anymore, either."

"Do it when it feels right," Rowan advised. "But don't wait for it. Time will fly by otherwise." He clasped his shoulder.