Chapter 29

Hello just would like to remind that all rights belong to Sarah J Maas. I have seen that its picking ul a few reads (which is great!) So if you're reading, don't be shy. Comment, talk about your theories/fave characters/big shocks/plot twists/etc (anything really). Please enjoy :)(:

Aelin wore a simple emerald gown. It was loose-flowing around her bump but had a halter neck instead of her usual necklines. She looked like she had put on a tent, but she didn't want tight-fitting dresses, not when the heat from the ball was going to make her sweat.

She sat in her chair beside Rowan's own throne. She kept fidgeting - smoothing her gown, gulping down a goblet of water, picking at her nails. Rowan gripped her hand.

When everyone had arrived, one by one bowing to her. Aelin began the reason she had organised this ball. She took one last mouthful of water and rose from the throne she sat in.

"Thank you all for coming," she said. She hid her shaking hands behind her back. "First of all, I would like to announce my plans for Terrasen and this castle." She looked at Elide, "I have decided to have statues made in honour of those who sacrificed so much. Lady Marion Lochan will have a statue in the gardens of this castle - to remember her sacrifice. She chose the future of Terrasen over herself and her family." Elide bowed her head. "I have ordered a statue of Princess Nhemia Ytger to be placed in the gardens as well - to remind Terrasen that Eyllwe is our friend."

What the King and Queen of Ellywe did not know is that Aelin also paid for a statue of their daughter to be placed in their own kingdom so Nhemia could return home once and for all.

"Also joining them in the gardens will be His Majesty Galan Ashryver, Crown Prince of Wendlyn," Aelin announced and her cousin tipped his head. "Ilias, Silent Assassin and son of the Mute Master... Her Majesty, Ansel of Briarcliff, High Queen of the Western Wastes... His Majesty, Pirate Lord Rolfe of Skull's Bay... Asterin Blackbeak, Ironteeth Witch of the Blackbeak Clan... Her Majest, Manon Blackbeak, Queen of the Crochan Witches and Heir of the Blackbeak Clan-"

The doors flung open and Rowan was at her side, trying to push her behind him. The guards had their weapons out in a matter of seconds. Manon's iron nails were at the ready and so was everyone's magic.

Aelin didn't bother summoning her fire magic - not after last time, and not in front of all these people.

A cloaked figure walked into the ballroom and swept a low bow. "Thank you, your Majesty, for hosting such a wonderful evening. I am almost sorry to disturb it..."

"Remove your hood," Aelin demanded. Rowan tried to push her back.

"If you so wish," the cloaked figure said and straightened. A bony white hand with iron nails reached up for the hood. It pulled it back.

"Grandmother!" Manon growled and ready to lunge.

The elderly witch tutted at Manon. She turned to Aelin, "Why on earth would you want to have a statue of that traitor?"

"Manon is a very brave ally," Aelin flicked her eyes at the witch, "and a good friend of mine."

Manon's grandmother shook her head, chuckling. "I honestly thought that you were smarter than that, Aelin Galathynius."

Rowan growled.

The woman chuckled louder. "I have heard many daring tales of the fire-breathing-queen, and yet...I am disappointed."

Aelin gripped Rowan's hand, sensing he was going to attack any minute. "What do you want?"

"I want Manon's head," she said simply. "You give me Manon and we can be allies instead. I will no longer play with your friends' minds - or yours for that matter."

Aelin stared at the witch. She could feel everyone waiting for her answer.

The witch smiled, showing her iron teeth. "You wouldn't want your child to pay the price, now, would you?"

Aelin fought the urge to flinch at those words. She continued to stare down the witch.

The witch sighed. "Elide and her lover-" she spat that word -"were not supposed to be found until tonight. I was going to bargain with you for their lives. However, I don't need them." The witch grinned and looked at Aelin's stomach. "What will it be fire-breather? Your kingdom's future or your friend?"

Fire-breather . She doesn't know.

Rowan was now snarling. Aelin stepped down from the throne and headed to face the witch. She stopped within reaching distance. Rowan hesitated. Trust me, she said through their bond.

"You have nothing on me, witch," Aelin hissed. "I will not give you Manon. You will not harm anyone I love. You cannot bargain with my child because it is inside me. You have nothing to bargain with. So I suggest, witch, that you heed my only warning: leave this continent now or I will burn you - and any of your so-called allies - until there is nothing left. Not even iron."

Aelin knew she could do it. The second her child was born her fire would want out and if that witch was on this continent she would destroy her.

The witch was smiling.

"I will heed your warning, Majesty," the witch dipped her head. "For now. I will leave your friends in peace for now, considering you have broken every spell I have used." Her eyes focused on Aelin's stomach. "I will be back when your child is born. Then I will have Manon...and I will have you, Aelin Galathynius."

Aelin let out a bitter laugh. "Then you will be waiting a long time, witch, and we will find you by then."

The witch was still grinning. She turned, her cloak sweeping behind her. Just as she reached the doors, she turned back to face Aelin. "Being with child is a difficult thing. You need to be more careful with what you drink, Majesty."