Chapter 4

Maeve's fighting was just like Rowan's. Ancient and powerful and skilled. Aelin ducked and lunged and braced herself. She could feel every injured part of her body as shrieked in protest. She clamped down on that pain. She wouldn't feel it until it was all over.

Maeve went for the side she had deliberately left open, and Aelin sliced the bitch's side. Not deep enough. Aelin twirled, glimpsing at Yrene who was healing Manon. The glance cost her. Maeve sliced Aelin's arm. Blood gushed out.

Aelin swiped low, catching Maeve's leg through her dark robes. Maeve hissed. Their blades clashed. Maeve went for Aelin's side but she had learnt to defend herself after Dorian had stabbed her on the bridge in Adarlan.

She shoved Maeve back and glanced over at Fenrys. He was rising with Gavriel's help. Fight it.

Maeve screamed as her arm turned black. "Get...back...down," she demanded through pants.

Aelin threw a dagger at Maeve. It landed in her shoulder.

"At least you're getting closer with that shot," Lysandra smirked from where she stood.

Maeve pulled the dagger out of her shoulder and threw it on the floor. The shoulder started healing itself. Fenrys was still on his knees, shaking. Gavriel dragged him across the floor, still obeying Maeve's order to bow but she had never said where. Gavriel pushed him in between Aelin and Maeve.

"Get out of here, Fenrys," Maeve ordered.

Aelin lunged for Maeve but Fenrys rose, blocking Aelin's attack. Maeve fell to her knees, screaming. She let out a blast of power. Aelin fell on to her back, her air going with her. Fenrys moved out of the way.

Maeve was on her back, screaming in pain. Aelin got to her knees, her bones aching, and crawled over to Maeve.

"The Gods have immobilised you," Aelin said, blood dripping down her mouth. "You broke your promise. They would have destroyed you, but they left you as a gift for me."

Maeve's eyes were wide and her lips were trembling.

"One of your warriors interfered with my killing blow. You used magic on me. You broke your promise and now you are mine," Aelin said, reaching for her knife.

"If you release Fenrys and everyone else from your blood oath, I might be merciful," Aelin said, inspecting her knife.

"Aelin," Rowan warned her.

"I release everyone-"

"With no dishonour - and remove Gavriel's and Lorcan's dishonour," Aelin interrupted.

"Will you let me live?" Maeve laughed.

"I'll consider it."

"Aelin," Rowan said again.

"I release everyone from my blood oath with no dishonour. I also remove Gavriel's and Lorcan's dishonour," Maeve said, coughing up blood.

Gavriel and Fenrys let out sobs.

Aelin said, "That's much better." She stabbed her knife in Maeve's thigh.

"You said you'd let me live," Maeve cried.

"No," Aelin grinned and dragged the knife down Maeve's leg. "I said I'd consider it." She did the same to the other leg, letting the blood pour to the floor, releasing everyone's oaths to Maeve. "I also said that I might be merciful." Aelin twisted her knife between her palms. "But considering what you have done to everyone...I might let them have a go at you."

Gavriel was the first, carving Evil into Maeve's arm. Fenrys did inscribed Bitch into Maeve's other arm. Maeve was fighting down screams.

Aelin laid on her back on the marble floor, listening to the sounds that Maeve made.

"In your honour, Fireheart," Rowan said. He looked into Maeve's eyes as he slit her throat and cut off her head.

"It is done," Gavriel panted.

Rowan knelt down and pushed back Aelin's dirty and blood-matted hair. He brushed a gentle kiss on her lips. He helped Aelin sit up, and took the flask of water Nesryn offered him. Aelin downed the water in seconds.

The rest of them formed a line for Yrene to heal their injuries. Elide knelt down beside Maeve's battered body and reached for the knife. She stabbed Maeve's cold, un-beating heart over and over again, ignoring the tears that flowed out of her eyes.

"I think she's dead," a familiar male voice said.

Everyone looked towards Lorcan. His body intact, though his clothes were ripped and torn.

Elide gasped and then smiled. "I was just making sure." She got to her feet and half ran - half limped towards Lorcan, who picked her up as he hugged her tight.

"How is that possible?" Choal asked, his arm around Nesryn.

Lorcan kissed Elide's head. "The Gods let me sacrifice my immortality to come back. I get to spend the rest of my life with my own mate." He winked at Rowan.

Aelin gaped at him.

"No one said that mates had to be Fae," Lorcan shrugged.

Elide wept into his chest. Lysandra looked at Aedion. Choal looked at Nesryn. And Dorian looked at Manon.

They had all found their mates.

Aedion, Lysandra, Manon, Dorian, and Rowan had been healed. Aelin had made sure she was healed last. Yrene knelt by her side, knitting her skin back together.

"Why didn't Maeve's warriors defend her?" Aelin asked, her voice hoarse.

"Because your own armies had taken them all down," Aedion told her. "You should have seen it, cousin. They took down Erawan's army and then after a day of rest, they all came here and took out Maeve's army."

"Those who had the blood oath but didn't wish to serve Maeve any longer allowed us to take them as prisoners," Dorian added. "They await your decision."

"And explain to me why everyone I love who has died showed up," Aelin said as she gritted her teeth. Yrene was working on a wound in her thigh that she didn't remember getting.

"The keys," Lorcan said. "It allowed them to come through just one last time."

You can unlock any door so long as you have the key, Kaltain Rompier had told Elide in her message to Celeana Sardothien.

Aelin smirked as she tilted back her head. She owed a lot to Kaltain Rompier. Maybe she'd build a statue in honour of her. She'd build a statue of everyone that ever helped her.

"I spoke to her, you know," Elide said from Lorcan's arms. "Kaltain. I told her that you had gotten her message. She was grateful. She's at peace now."

Aelin nodded, despite the throbbing. "Thank you," she whispered. Rowan's face was hard and tense. Aelin stroked his cheek. "You saw her didn't you?"

Rowan nodded. He whispered so no one else could hear, "She understood. Lyria said she's with Sam. They've been taking care of each other. She...she wanted me to move on and be happy." He smiled. "She likes you, said you were just the handful I'd need in my immortal life."

Aelin caught that he wasn't telling her everything. She met his eyes and said, "What of your child?"

He swallowed. "I would have had a son. She named the unborn child after me."

Aelin groaned. "Not another Rowan Whitethorn."

He chuckled.

Yrene looked up from Aelin's thigh. "You might want to go tell your army that Maeve is dead."

Rowan rose his brows, surprised at his order. Aelin studied the healer's face. "Take Aedion as well, there's no point in fighting people who didn't want to be under Maeve's control."

Rowan nodded and shifted into his hawk form.