Chapter 23

They all watched as Elide and Lorcan's carriage faded out of view. Chaol and Nesryn headed back inside, Gavriel and Fenrys had left an hour ago to find Rolfe. Dorian stood beside Aelin watching Manon and Rowan talking.

"She's amazing," Dorian said to Aelin.

An eletric shock zinged through Aelin. Her blood pumped harder inside her body. Rowan glanced at her. "Yeah, she's just so perfect."

Dorian raised an eyebrow at her.

Rowan strolled over. "Is everything ok?" he asked, sensing her anger.

"What did she want?" Aelin spat.

Rowan glanced at Dorian. "Manon was just going over some plans."

Aelin sniffed him. "You're lying. What, you share secrets with the witch now?" She glared at Manon as she headed into the castle. "I should have killed her when I had the chance."

"You hurt her and it will be an act of war," Dorian threatened.

Rowan raised his hand to the King. He turned to her. "Aelin, what is wrong?"

"What's wrong? I see the way you two are together," Aelin snarled. She turned to Dorian. "They don't care about us. They got..." She trailed off, her mind going foggy. She must have zoned out for a minute. Aelin shook her head, "Sorry, did you say something?"

Dorian and Rowan shared a look before they both frowned at her.

"I think you should get some rest before dinner, Aelin," Rowan said.

"I'm perfectly fine, thank you," she said and went back inside.

.
.

"What the hell happened?" Rowan asked Dorian. The King shrugged. "I was asking Manon about what Aelin had said to her the other night in the hall."

"Thats why Aelin said you were lying," Dorian rolled his shoulders. "It's probably stress."

Rowan had the feeling that there was more to it. He couldn't quite understand what he could sense around Aelin but it was strong enough to take her over.

.
.
Rowan sat opposite his mate as they ate their dinner in the foyer. He stirred the soup.

"You know that I only care for you, don't you?" Aelin nodded with her mouth full. "And I don't care about power or used you to be King."

"Where is this coming from?" She wiped her mouth on a napkin.

"You know that?" Rowan repeated.

"Of course I do."

Rowan explained what she had said earlier. He told her how he thought it wasn't actually her saying those things.

"The magic wielder," Aelin whispered, dropping her spoon.

Rowan nodded. He listened as Aelin described what she had felt. A shock running through her body.

"You don't think our child is doing it?" Aelin placed a hand on her bump.

Rowan shook his head. "How can it? It's not even fully grown yet. It wouldn't be able to understand jealousy."

Aelin folded her arms. "I am not jealous of anyone - especially of Manon."

"You were at Mistward," Rowan mumbled before sipping his wine.

"With child or not, I will kick your immortal ass if you bring that up again."

His eyes gleamed from the challenge. He would let her fight him. He wouldnt fight back, not until the child was born. Then he would make her sweat.

"I think it wants to divide us," he said, wisely changing the subject.

"Then we don't let it," Aelin said simply and shrugged.

Rowan studied his wife for a few seconds. "That's why you have asked for Rolfe."

Aelin nodded. "I wanted to see if his map works here in Terrasen. Maybe he could help us locate where the wielder is."

Rowan suppressed a smile. His clever Queen had done it again. Always one step ahead.

He resumed eating but paused when he noticed she had given up on their meal.

"They wanted Darrow to get us to give up our child," she whispered.

Rowan lowered his spoon. "I won't let that happen, Fireheart."

"What if they do what they did tonight?" she asked. "But instead of using my feelings towards you and trying to break my friendships... What if they use their powers to convince me to hand over our child?"

"I won't let that happen," Rowan repeated.

"What if they manipulated everyone that way? We would lose our child and nothing can be done," Aelin said and pushed back her chair. She headed for the bedroom.

Rowan, too, had lost his appetite. He just prayed that Gavriel and Fenrys found Rolfe, and fast. He also prayed that Rolfe's map would also work in Terrasen.

Rowan had lost Lyria and his unborn son. Then he met his true mate, lost her, and then found her again. He couldn't lose his child again. Rowan wasn't sure that Aelin would walk back out of that darkness if it were to happen. He wasn't sure that he would either.