Chapter 36

Aelin climbed into the carriage with her daughter and Rowan. Normally, the heir would travel in a separate carriage but everyone knew that she and Rowan would be the best to protect her.

They would travel through the larger cities of Terrasen to the Royal Temple. People ran out of their homes, throwing flowers and cheering, hoping to glimpse their future King and Queen. It wasn't until Aelin spotted the Lilianna, the little girl at the docks when she first arrived, the she made the carriage stop.

She climbed out of the carriage, Rowan and Fenrys were at her side in an instant. Elide and Lorcan stood guard of Elentiya. Aelin strode over to the little girl.

"Hello, Lilianna," Aelin said as the girl curtsied.

"Y-You remember me, Majesty?" She smoothed down her pretty yellow dress.

"Of course I do," Aelin smiled. "Would you and your parents like to have a front seat at the coronation?"

The little girl beamed up at her parents. "Can we?" she begged her father.

The man gave Aelin as sheepish smile and said, "Thank you, Majesty."

Aelin pointed towards the carriage Chaol and Nesryn sat in - the little girl's parents probably would be more comfortable with humans. "Lilanna," Aelin said and took the little girl's hand, "you can ride and wave with us."

She led the little girl into the carriage. Elide handed Elentiya back to Aelin and returned to her own carriage with Lorcan. Lilianna sat beside Rowan, staring at the tiny princess.

"She's so cute," Lilianna said, tickling Elentiya's belly. The princess gurgled.

"Could you do me the honour of holding her for me?" Aelin asked the little girl and Rowan smiled. "You see, I need to wave at my people."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Lilianna said.

Aelin passed her Elentiya and Rowan showed her how to hold the child correctly as Aelin burnt the top of the carriage away. Rowan's wind blew the ashes away from them so it didn't ruin their dresses.

The crowds 'ahhed' as they watched Aelin reveal themselves. She waved to her people. She would not hide from them. They used their magic on the other carriages.

Terrasen needed to see their saviours.

.

.

Lilianna handed Elentiya over to Lysandra, and stood beside Evangeline. Luca stood on the other side of Evangeline, next to Lysandra. Aedion, next to her, scowled at Luca, until Lilianna's parents stood beside their daughter. He couldn't show his feelings in public. Not with so many people here today. His father patted his shoulder before he turned to speak with Yrene. On the other side of the aisle stood Elide and Lorcan, chatting to Manon and Dorian, with Chaol next to his King and his wife.

Fenrys stood guard by the steps to the altar. Ren Allsbrook stood on the otherside. The temple was packed. Aedion spotted familiar faces in the crowd. He didn't doubt that outside the temple was just as crowded. Aedion spotted some of his Bane amongst the guests.

The tension flowed out of his body. Aelin would be safe with the Bane here. He squeezed Lysandra's hand.

Rowan would be crowned first as he wasn't from Terrasen. His coronation would be faster than Aelin's. Aelin would have to give a speech after she was crowned Queen.

Trumpets played and the doors to the side of the altar opened. Rowan climbed the steps, with a crown of fire on his head, and bowed to the Priestess.

"Rowan Whitethorn Galathynius, do you hereby swear to stand by Terrasen and it's Queen? Do you promise that you will do your best for the people of Terrasen and bare the weight of the crown?"

Rowan said that he did indeed promise to be a good ruler. A Priest drew out the sword of Orynth and tapped either shoulder. Rowan rose and the Priestess escorted him to his throne. The Priest lifted a golden crown from its stand. The flaming crown died out.

The Priestess spoke as the Priest stood to Rowan's right side and lifted the crown. "I now pronounce you: His Royal Majesty, Rowan Whitethorn Galathynius, King of Terrasen."

The Priest lowered the crown to sit on Rowan's head.

Aedion applauded, along with the crowd, as Rowan tried to hide a smile. It was only when the trumpets sounded again, and a choir began to sing one of the ancient songs of Terrasen that Aedion realised Rowan wasn't smiling because he was King. He was smiling because his beautiful wife was walking down the aisle.

.

.

Aelin had to walk down the aisle by herself as she was born to Terrasen. It was just a tradition - one that she had been frightened of since she had learnt how to speak. Aelin  had kept her crown of fire, just to remind herself that she deserved this.

Everyone had turned to face her, bowing or curtsying as she passed, but then she saw Rowan's face, and it was just him. He gave her the reaction she had dreamed of when she imagined walking down an aisle. It was as if she had lit up a dark room he'd been sitting in.

She smiled at Fenrys and Ren who both offered her a hand up the steps.

Aelin curtsied to the Priestess and straightened herself. She was a child of Terrasen, she didn't need to be blessed by the sword of Orynth.

The Priestess asked her, "Do you Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius swear to stand by Terrasen's people? Will you follow in the footsteps of your ancestors and rule Terrasen with love and kindness? Will you serve and protect Terrasen to the best of your capability?"

"I do," Aelin said.

The Priestess passed Aelin a small, sharp golden knife. She sliced it across the other scars on her palm. She placed her bloody palm on to a square block of stone that the Priest held. It had already been engraved with her name. The stone would be placed beside the other stones outside the temple, a promise to last after time.

The Priestess wiped and bandaged Aelin's hand before escorting her to stand in front of her throne beside Rowan. She smiled at her husband. The child of Terrasen must stand for their crowning, another tradition.

The Priest lifted the crown she had been dreading until the day Rowan had helped Aelin out of that dark place. It was made out of gold and had been made to look like a Stag's horns. This crown had been made to match Rowan's long before Orlon had been King.

Aelin removed her crown of flames from her head. The Priest lowered the real crown of Terrasen to sit on Aelin's head.

The crowd began to applaud and cheer before the Priestess could speak.

"I now pronounce you: Her Royal Highness, Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen."

Thank you all so much for following this story :)(:
I will be doing a couple of one-shot chapters of the gang's future (but in a separate story on Wattpad). I cannot thank you all enough. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. And it's finished just in time for Tower of Dawn!!!! :D

Thank you, everyone!!!