Chapter 16

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

"Can I talk to you in the kitchen, Kaner?" Jonathan jerks his head toward the kitchen.

"Sure..." i look back at the hallway, hearing the laughter from Alex, Andrew, and Lyla.

Jonny walks into the kitchen, and i follow.

"What's up?" I ask, putting my hands in my pockets.

"Lyla. You guys seem to be....getting closer." He says slowly.

"Is there a problem with that? Jonny, she makes me happy." I say.

"I'm sure she does. But she seems really.....uh, there's really no good way to say this. You need to care for a girl like Lyla. Patrick, you go out partying, drinking, you dont have a care in the world. When it comes to love, you don't take things seriously." Jonathan speaks with such certainty, i feel annoyed. He doesn't know Lyla like i do.

"Why do you seem like you're talking about Lyla like you know her? Jonathan, i get what you're saying, but this time it feels different. She makes me feel....like there's a reason to be with her. All the other girls were just drinks and fun. I'm serious about this. I can change. I won't go partying and drinking." The last part wasn't necessarily a lie, but it wasn't the truth either.

Old habits are hard to break.

"Okay, Pat. But just remember what I'm saying. Be careful. If Lyla really means this much to you, keep her close. Don't let anything happen betwen you two." He claps my back, giving me good advice.

"Good talk, Jonny." I grin.

"No prob, bud."

There's a reason why he's captain -- he's such an amazing leader.

"Now go have fun. I know you're dying to join them." He gestures towards Alex's room.

"You coming?" I ask.

He nods, and we walk down the hall.

"I have an idea....shh." i point into the room, and silently place my hand on the doorknob.

"AHH!" I suddenly jump in, throwing the door open.

"Ah, SHIT!" Andrew shoots up straight, and Alex places her hand on her chest.

The only person not scared is Lyla.

"Gotcha." I wink at Andrew and Alex.

Lyla smiles, knowing that i didn't scare her.

"Whatcha guys doin?" I sit beside Lyla, my leg slightly brushing hers.

"We just tried on our dresses, and now...i don't even know what we're doing." Lyla stares into my eyes, shining. There's something about her gaze that makes me want to be alone with just her.

"Can we have food?" Andrew whines.

"Do you want to go out? Or I could make something." Alex shrugs.

"I'm coming!" Andrew makes his way to the kitchen.

"I'll help." Jonathan takes Alex's hand, and she smiles.

A pang of jealousy hits me, but then I realize that leaves Lyla and I alone.

"Hey." I scootch closer, and she smiles looking down.

"You know, I'm really happy i opened up to you. I feel like I've got nothing to hide anymore." She falls back, laying on the carpet on her back.

I sit next to her, and i play with her long hair.

"Good." I twist her hair on my finger.

"Do you know what the first thing i noticed about you was?" I asked her.

"What?" She smiles.

"Your hair. I remember thinking, 'Wow she has really smooth, long hair'." I laugh.

Lyla giggles, propping herself up on one elbow.

"And what did i notice about you?" She whispers.

"My eyes." I guessed.

"Yes." She says softly.

It was then when I realized, it doesn't matter if she's been through a very rough past. What Jonathan's saying has a point, but I've never wanted a girl so bad.

"I like you." I blurt.

I see her eyes widen, but her lips spread into a smile.

"I like you too." She said slowly.

I grin, and she laughs.

I hug her, but i feel like she's still holding back.

Why is she so hard to read?

A/N: "bad habits are hard to break."

Lyla's holding back... having such a hard past, it's hard to trust, forgive, and love.