Chapter 30

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

I've driven myself home all the time, even when i was so drunk that i couldn't even remember my own name.

I'm not that drunk, but the haziness quality of alcohol was still there. My steady driving put Lyla to sleep, and my mind wanders.

Why was she so drunk? Did she have another fight with her dad? Daniel?

I want to wake her up right now, but she needs to rest. My body is fighting every instinct to kiss her pink lips right now. I look over to her, then shake my head. She's drunk. I can't take advantage of a drunk girl even if i AM dating her.

My eyes become blurry, and that hazy feeling returns. I guess I'm not used to drinking anymore.

The road becomes blurry, and I have trouble seeing. I swerve, just in time to avoid a red car who honks at me.

I stop the car, ignoring angry drivers' glares.

I shake my head, my vision becoming clear again. Just as i thought I was okay to start the car, headlights pierced through Lyla's windows.

A car was out of control, coming straight onto us.

"Lyla!" I yell, just as i try to swerve the car out of the way.

The alcohol made my reaction slow, even though i saw the car from a good three metres away.

I was thrown upside down, the car crashing hard into us, both our cars spiraling out of control. The driver hit Lyla's side. The sound of broken glass shattering woke me up. I look beside me, but the passenger seat was empty, all except for a bloody shattered window.

"Lyla?!" I couldn't see her.

Everything was blurry, just as i felt a sharp pain in my wrist. I move my wrist, wincing. I knew right away that it was just a broken wrist.

There was not even a sound from Lyla, as i saw her limp body far away. So far away. How did it get so far?

"Lyla, oh my god." I kicked open the door, struggling to get out of the upside down vehicle.

I tripped over to the other side, and see Lyla lying on the floor, face to the sky. Eyes wide in shock, she was barely breathing. Her head was lying in a very scary pool of blood, her eyes starting to droop. How did she even get outside the vehicle?

"Lyla, stay with me." I crawled carefully through broken glass shards, holding her very bloodied hand.

She laughed, just a soft chuckle. "I'm getting so sleepy." She says, eyes wandering.

"No, Lyla, no please don't close your eyes. Look at me. Yes, look at me and never close your eyes." my voice sounds desperate, even to my own ears.

In the distance i heard sirens, knowing that the ambulance would soon be here.

"Look at me, Pat." She whispers, never losing her intent gaze. "Your eyes are blue." She says dreamily.

"Yes, they're blue. I want you to focus on blue, okay?" I stroke her hair, sticky with the blood that she's losing.

"Okay." She breathes the word out, but her eyes are starting to close again.

"Lyla." A single tear dropped from my eyes, landing on her lips.

"Salty." She says, giggling. She winced, as her head shakes.

"Lyla, how are you feeling?" I ask. I never even asked her where her wounds are.

"The back of my head hurts." She frowns slightly, "And why can't i see your blue eyes? Patrick?! Patrick, where are you?" Her voice suddenly goes high, panicked.

"Lyla, I'm right here. I'm right here." I'm hovering right above her, and she's looking at me. There's no way she isn't able to see me.

Lyla lifts her hand, and blindly touches my chest above her.

"There you are." She sighs, then without warning, closes her eyes.

"No!" I cry out, but she doesn't come back.

The sirens are closer now, and the shape of an ambulance comes speeding towards us. It halts to a stop next to Lyla, as multiple police man and doctors rush to the scene.

They say a bunch of words, but i don't hear them. All i can see is the weak, limp body of the girl that i love lying on the floor. The dark red colour of blood begins to pool bigger, and doctors get her onto a stretcher.

"Where's the other car and driver?" A policeman asks.

"I don't care where the other driver is! I need my Lyla." I say helplessly.

The police looks at me like he feels sorry, then gestures towards the back door of the ambulance.

"You can go to the hospital with her. The police can question you there." He says.

"Thank you." I say quietly, then hoist myself up into the ambulance.

"Are you injured?" A young medic asked me worriedly. Maybe it's his first day on the job.

"Just a broken wrist." I shrug him off, and immediately turn to Lyla.

I was so not used to seeing her this way. She almost looks a stranger, the oxygen mask, the bruises and cuts all over her face.

"How is she doing?" My voice comes out a whisper.

"Lost a lot of blood to her head." The young nurse states the obvious.

Then suddenly, a dark gloomy haunting feeling drifts over me. This was MY fault. I was drinking and driving. Yes, it was the other driver who crashed into us. But i saw him. If i wasn't under the influence of alcohol, i could've dodged a bullet.

He brings over tape and a supporter for my wrist, but i put them on myself.

I hold Lyla's hand with my good one, and i can see her chest rising and falling steadily. She opens her eyes.

"Lyla." I smile, my lips cracking.

"Patrick? Where are you?" She has that same panicked and desperate look in her eyes again. She looks everywhere, and i mean EVERYWHERE but me.

I'm hovering above her again, there's no way she can't see me.

"Here. Im right here." I say softly.

"But where?" Her eyes flicker around, confused and lost.

Why does she keep looking for me? I'm right here. She's staring right at my face, but it was as if she couldn't find my eyes and meet my gaze.

Was she dreaming?

"What's wrong with her?" I look at young nurse, but he just looks at me just as confused.

"Um, we're on our way to the hospital. We'll run tests for her there." He says uncomfortably.

"I want an answer." I grit my teeth, annoyed at the lack of information he's giving me.

"Let her rest. That's the best for now." He looks back at Lyla, and tells her to relax. She obeys, and slowly calms down.

I hold her hand all the way to the hospital, the haunting feeling never leaving me.

A/N: Lyla...what's wrong with her?