Chapter 44

A/N: Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. It is a really REALLY bad story lmao, but it IS where i started. I never really thought of it that way, and I'm so glad you guys made me see that (: Thank you, Thank you! I will not be deleting it (: I'll probably finish this story up and just see where that goes. Thanks for everyone's comments, I read all of them! I guess a certain SOMEONE owes me a Toews jersey... *coughcough* Laura.

           *Patrick's P.O.V.*

"I'm tired." I tell Alex.

"Patrick, you're not even trying! Get up from that bed, you've been in there for days! Take a damn shower!" She practically screams in my face.

I haven't gone to practice, and i skipped two games already. I know i'm not sick anymore, but i still don't feel 100%.

"You look dead." Jonathan comes in wearing his suit and tie.

I'm missing my third game now.

"Stay home and watch him, will you?" Jonny's arms linger on Alex's lower back.

"PDA." I mumble.

"Yeah, no problem. But i expect Pat to get up from his bed and actually move his ass." Alex crosses her arms, making her look like a preschool teacher.

"Get up." Jonny fixes a cold glare at me.

"Get up!" He says more forceful.

"God, jeez." I mumble getting up.

"Shower." Alex pinches her nose and scrunches up her face teasing me.

I shrug and grab clean clothes. I don't want to move on, but i know it's time to. I can't just rot in my bed for eight weeks until Lyla comes back.

I take off my shirt in the bathroom, and cringe at the smell. I do stink.

I look into the mirror, and i see my blood shot eyes. God, i looked bad. I turn on the shower and quickly get in. The hot water feels good, and i stay there for what seems like forever. I finally get out, and i smell something amazing.

"Mmmmm, what's all this?" I slip on a clean shirt and walk out to the kitchen. Alex and her burritos are sitting on the dinner table, waiting.

"You need a good meal. No more lying in that room of yours, get out and be active. Q expects you for the next game, you know." Alex hands me my plate.

"Thanks," i grab the plate and make my way over to the couch, "I should be alright for the next game." I shrug and change the channel to the game.

We're up 3-1 in the second.

Alex sits on the lone couch away from me, as she stares at me with her head cocked to the side.

"You really love her, don't you?" She says.

I look up, and I'm surprised to see her looking back at the tv and not at me.

"Um, yeah." I smile at my burrito and immediately feel a blush start to creep up my neck all the way up to my ears.

"Ive never seen you like this before. See i told you, you would fall in love. I also said you'd know what love is when you feel it." She grins.

"Yeah, it feels so freaking great. Until you cause the person you love to go blind and send her halfway across the globe with another good looking dude that also loves her." I say harshly.

Alex is taken aback, but she's calm.

"I know how you feel, Pat. Sometimes... you need that one person to always be there for you. Jonny was always there for me, he saved me. And it's your turn to save Lyla."

I know what I have to do. I need to be a man, and suck it up. I need to be there for her.

"You're right." I nod, picking up my phone.

"Aren't i always?" She jokes.

I roll my eyes, and dial Lyla's new long distance number.

"Hello?" Lyla's soft voice rings out.

"Hey babe." I smile unintentionally.

"Why aren't you playing right now? Are you still sick? Did you see the doctor? What did he say?" She tackled me with questions.

"Hey, hey, relax. I'm cool, I'll probably be on the road next. I didn't go to the doctor again, no." I answered all her questions.

"Oh." She pauses, "alright."

"How's everything on your side? The clinic good?" I try to ask in a casual sense, but i really want to know when she's coming back.

"It's alright i guess. I still can't read whatever he's putting in my face though. But i can see more light i think. I have a scheduled surgery coming up though." She whispers the last part.

"What? Already?" I ask.

"Yeah." She mumbles.

"Don't be scared! Just remember, every surgery, every treatment, is one step closer to home." I can almost see her eyes brighten.

"Yes." She says, "And one step closer to you." She adds.

I laugh, and i know I'm ready. I'm ready to get up from my funk, and show the team that I'm not some broken hearted boy that's losing to love. I'm broken hearted, but im not losing. She'll come back to me.