Chapter 47

*Lyla's P.O.V.*

It didn't work.

I opened my eyes, and all i saw were blurs. Streams of light and blurs.

They took me away from Daniel. I'm in a small room now, and i feel enclosed.

"Oh Lyla thank goodness." The door swings open and Daniel rushes to me.

"I hate them." I say bluntly. "I was never a patient here. I was their guinea pig, just a lab rat in their experiment."

"Nonono. Lyla, you came here for a reason, and you can see a little better. It's still something, right?" Daniel sits down on the chair next to me.

He's right. I can make out shapes now. It's honestly not as bad as it used to be, but i can literally just see blobs. Blobs!

"I won't be discharged from this hospital today. They have to monitor my progress. I just want to go home." I sound like a child, but i don't care.

Daniel's facetime rings.

"Patrick!" I hold out my hand. The phone gets placed on my hand, and i speak into it.

"Can you see me?" I say.

"Yes. Lyla, what happened?"

I choke on something, i don't know what.

"I didn't get better, I'll never be able to get better." I didn't even try to lie. It is what it is, and the truth is scary.

"I know this isn't what you want to hear... but im sorry." Patrick's voice sounds so strained and gritty.

I cringe. "Don't say that Pat, don't say that."

There was a moment of silence, just realization and grief settling over us.

"Lyla, i just want you to know, that no matter what happens, i will always be here. I know that sounds cliche and cheesey, but I'm honest. I will always love you."

The last sentence warmed my heart, as i realized that it didn't matter. I know I've lost a ton of battles in my life, but love is one that I've won in.

"I'll be back sooner than you know

it." I muster up a smile.

"Good." I hear crunching in the background, and i know he's probably eating.

"What are you eating?" I ask curiously.

"Cookies." He chuckles.

"I make mean sugar cookies." I gloat playfully.

"Really? I guess I'll have to experiment on that when you get back!" He laughs.

Oh, Patrick. His innocence makes my heart melt, and i think about how there's only two more weeks. Fourteen more days.

Patrick and I stayed away from the topic of my eyesight, and it felt good to just talk about everything else for once in a long time. These past two months have been crazy, the subject of my eyesight never leaving.

Although I'm disappointed and a little angry that I'm still not able to see, i think I'm okay.

"Daniel? Thank you." I tell him once Patrick and I disconnected our facetime.

"No problem. It's been crazy, hasn't it?" He laughs softly.

"Crazy is an understatement." I giggled.

"I'm just glad i could be back in your life. That month having absolutely no contact with you? Terrible. Then finding out you had lost your eyesight? Heartbreaking." He confesses.

"Aw, Dan. I'll always be your bestie." I slap him lightly on the arm, and I'm surprised i didn't miss.

I guess I'm getting used to being the way i am.

Blind.

A/N: I know you guys hate me right now... i feel you. It'll get better, i promise! Everything will be better someday... You guys should listen to the song Blind by Lifehouse. That song is perfection.