Chapter 56

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

Doesn't she know that she's hurting me?

I pull up to Sam's house, and knock on the door. It's Laura who answers, and she reluctantly lets me in. I'm thankful for Laura because if it was Sam who had answered the door, he would've never let me in.

"Lyla..." i trail off lost, just looking around.

"I don't think she wants to see you now. But you do need to talk this out, alright? Just stay here." Laura waves at the couch wearily and i nod.

I feel almost intruding, their home cozy and warm in this cold winter night.

Tomorrow is Christmas eve. It's almost going to be the most wonderful time of the year, and the person I love won't be spending it with me.

Just then, i hear soft footsteps pad down the carpeted stairs.

I whip my head around, to see that it's just Sam.

"Lyla is willing to talk to you, but... just let her say what she has to say. Listen, alright?" He says knowingly.

I nod, and impulsively climb quickly up the stairs. The only room that has it's lights turned on was the room Lyla is in.

"Hey." My voice sounds like a whisper.

She's sitting on the bed, and i sit down next to her. I'm careful to keep my distance though, I'm not touching her.

"I didn't explain to you properly, and i shouldn't of left you like that. I'm sorry." She looks down as she apologizes.

"It's okay." I say quickly.

"There's a reason for everything I do, Pat. Don't think I'm leaving for no reason." She says quietly.

"Then what? What's the reason?"

She thinks for a bit, then rests her hands on the bed, leaning back exposing her neck and collar bones.

Oh, Lyla.

"I know you said that you don't mind that I'm blind. But I do. There are words that are said, that you may not hear. If you just pay attention to what's around you, you'll see. Not everyone approves of this. The fans? They're going crazy. Why would Patrick Kane be with this girl? She's not even that pretty! There are things said about you too. I, honestly... this will ruin your reputation. And your teammates... there are many supportive ones, but i know for sure that at least one of them doesn't like the fact I'm like this. I can see us falling apart. If it's not going to work out in the long run... it's better to end things before they get too serious."

Although Lyla is the one breaking things off with me, she's crying. It's a silent kind of cry, and it breaks my heart to see it. It breaks my heart that Lyla has to deal with this because of me.

"Hey, babe." I inch closer to her, wanting to touch her, to hold her close. But i don't.

"Is this really what you want? You don't seem so sure about it. Before you make your final decision, just listen to what I have to say. All the time, there are many things said about me. Do they effect me? Yeah. But because i love what i do so much, i can put that aside. I love you, Lyla. I don't care what's said about you, I don't care what's said about me. As long as we're together, i don't care. Seabs? He'll come around! Do not ever think you're not good enough."

The whole time, Lyla is just sitting there crying.

"Please, Lyla, i know you want this too." My lips quiver, and i yearn for her touch.

I reach out, and take her hand. She looks up, then melts into me. Her cry becomes not-so silent, and i hold her.

"Shhh, sweet Lyles. Cry. I'm here, I'm here." I hush her, and stroke her hair.

"I need you, Patrick. But sometimes it's too hard." She hiccups, and i rub her back.

I'm on the verge of tears, looking at this girl. I love her so much, it hurts to see her hurting.

"I know, Lyles. I'm going to be here to comfort you." I kiss her forehead, and she let's me. I pull back and look at her.

Her face is tear stained and her cheeks are red. I can't hold myself back. I lean forwards, pressing my lips against hers. She gasps for a quick second, then starts to pull away.

"No." I mumble against her lips.

She obeys, and stays still. Then, ever so slowly, she begins to kiss me back. At first it's slow, then she starts to find her rhythm. Her hands entangle in my hair, and my hands rest tightly on her hips. Oh lord, you don't know how she makes me feel.

"I love you." She whispers out of breath. "Don't leave me."

I kiss her so hard, she falls back. I loom over her, still kissing the beautiful girl lying on the bed, her hair splayed out.

"Never." I barely get the word out, kissing her neck.

I kiss her on the hollow of her neck, and she tilts her head back. Oh my god.

"Not here." She says.

"I know." I mumble hoarsely.

I back off, and she sits up slowly.

"I'm sorry for having doubts." She says.

"I understand, Lyla. It's very hard for you. But are we okay now?" I ask carefully.

She's still holding my hands, and she moves her hand to cup my cheek.

"Yeah."