Chapter 55

*Lyla's P.O.V.*

I can't fucking see a thing. I feel my way blindly out of the United Centre, when I feel someone grab my wrist. These are not Patrick's hands.

"Lyla." Says a familiar voice. It's Brandon.

"Lyla, what's wrong?" Brandon hugs me, and I let him. I cry in his shoulder, and he tells me to calm down.

"Shush, calm down." He says soothingly.

"Calm down? My boyfriend thinks I'm a burden! And I'm a burden that he's struggling to carry! I'm creating so many problems with the team. I don't want to be his stupid burden. I want to make him happy." The tears stop flowing, and instead, words start to flow.

"You do make him happy." Brandon protests.

"Did you hear him speaking with you guys? I don't make him happy, I make him frustrated!"

I'm angry at myself for becoming blind. If I was normal and proper, this wouldn't of happened.

Brandon remains silent, but he's still hugging me ever so tightly. I realize that we could be seen right now, and I release the strong boy.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't of..." i trail off, but he stammers an apology as well.

"Can you do me a favour and just lead me out? I can't figure out this building." I extend my arm, and Brandon takes it.

"Yeah." He mumbles.

We walk for a while, then he breaks the silence.

"Does this mean you and Pat are completely finished?" He asks quietly.

I shake my head, not wanting it to be.

"I don't know. But he deserves so freaking much in a girl, and a blind girl just won't do. I just won't do it." I feel colder now, and I realize Brandon has not taken me outside.

"Brandon? Why are we back into the arena?" I ask carefully.

Suddenly, he lets go of my arm.

"Because we need to talk. You can't just leave without an explanation." Patrick's voice was rough and pained from behind me.

"Oh my god, did you hear everything?" I close my eyes.

"Enough to know why you're leaving. Lyla, i didn't mean it that you were a burden, you're not. You made me feel the happiest I'd ever been, you've made me feel... love. I cannot let you go. I don't mind, you know. I don't mind that you can't see."

He is making this way too friggen hard.

"I know you don't mind, Patrick. But I mind." I use my cane to guide me out, but I'm walking slow.

"No!" Patrick hugs me from behind, protesting, not letting me leave.

"Why do you want to be with me so badly? You can choose from a hundred million other girls! Im blind for God's sake, that will never change. Never. Just think about that, please." He let me go, and i start to leave.

I feel the open air as the frost from this cold december bites at my cheeks. Great. I left my jacket inside. I don't have time to go back, as Sam arrives.

"Lyla? Aren't you supposed to be with Patrick at the Christmas skate? Is everything alright?" He leads me to the passenger seat, then starts to head home.

"Don't drive me back to Patrick's." I tell him.

"Okay. I'll drive you to my place. What happened?" The concern in his voice is obvious, and I only tell him the truth.

"I should've known this wouldn't of worked." I lean my head back on the seat and close my eyes, feeling the tears prickle them.

"Lyla, just calm down. We don't want another panic attack, okay? Just breathe."

I nod, and follow his instructions. Soon I'm not breathing as fast, and the tears have left.

"I heard him in that changeroom with all of his teammates," I say, "And they were all discussing me as if I was a problem. And then a word surfaced. That word was burden. I know Patrick loves me and wants to be with me, I can feel that. But maybe i really shouldn't be keeping my place as his girlfriend. I'm just going to ruin his life. And you know that saying, if you love someone you do what's best for them? What's best for Patrick is that he finds a proper girlfriend and marry someone proper."

I sigh, my voice shuddering like it does after I cry.

"Are you sure?" Sam asks me. "Did you discuss this with him?"

Typical Sam.

"What's there to discuss? It is what it is."

We get to his place in silence, and i go straight to the guest room locking the door. I just lie on the bed, not thinking about anything.

I'm a burden, huh?