Chapter 38

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

It hurts me to see her frustrated like this. I watch from the door, seeing her yell at Daniel.

"Patrick, get in there and tell her." Daniel walks out angrily, and pushes me in.

I walk to where shes sitting, and stand in front of her.

"I know you don't want to go. I don't want you to either. But the one thing i do want is you to be able to see again. Lyla, it kills to see you this way. With you, ive become a better person. You've touched me like no other and made me feel something I've never felt before. Do it for me, Lyles. Do it for us." I know what i have to say right then and there. Something I dont say much.

"I love you." I kneel down beside her bed, and kiss her.

She gasps, but kisses me back. I kiss her very lightly, but she's urgent. I place my hands at the back of her neck, and she holds my face. I back away, taken aback from her sudden need.

"Patrick..."

I look up to see her crying.

"Why are you crying, love?" I whisper.

"Because you're beautiful." She laughs softly. "And..." she trails off, taking my hand and swinging it in hers.

"I love you." She laughs again, the sound just like the slightest jingle of bells.

"You'll go then? For me?" I ask again, hoping for the best.

"I'm going to miss you so much." She starts crying again, but i know this time she's afraid.

"You'll be with Daniel. And we'll talk to each other on the phone! You'll come back better, and you'll be happy. I promise you, you won't be alone in this." I embrace her and she nests her head in my chest. I like her head there, it feels closer to my heart.

"When will i be back?" She asks.

"Few months, i promise. You come straight home to me." I kiss the top of her head.

She nods, tear staining my shirt.

Oh hell, im going to miss my Lyla so much.

** first game of the season **

"Lets do this Kaner!" Jonny slaps my back.

We're in Colorado, and Lyla's still in Chicago. I know she'll be listening to the game. She leaves for Dublin in two days.

"Yeah." I look down.

"Hey bud. I know its difficult right now. It'll get better." Jonathan speaks wisely.

I shrug. It's been very hard. It doesn't ever seem like it'll get better.

We take the ice for warm ups, and the stadium is already intimidating me.

I'm not focused, and it shows in the game.

"Kane, concentrate!" Coach Q shouts at me on the bench, clapping my back.

I can't. I'm so frustrated, i can't make plays, and I'm tired as hell. I cry. I cry while playing, and the cameras catch it. I sit on the bench, with Hjalmarsson standing in front of me to block the cameras.

I hate this.

"Kaner, breathe." Nik turns back to look at me. "You can push through."

His words are comforting, and i nod. He skates off, and i move down the bench.

The game ends, and we win 3-2. I was terrible. There's no doubt, i sucked.

Another thing i hate? Post-game interviews.

"Patrick!" The reporters swarm me.

"Is there a reason for your performance tonight?"

"Were the lines just not working out?"

"You didn't get as much ice time as usual, why is that?"

Questions swarmed at me like a thousand buzzing flies.

"It's just a really sad day." My face scrunches up in pain, and i cry.

The reporters leave, and I'm thankful for that. I feel an arm around me, and look up to see Jonathan.

"Breathe, Kaner. I know tonight wasn't a good night for you, but it will pass. We're headed back home, you'll see Lyla before she leaves." Jonny pats my lower back.

"Don't." I turn away, just wanting to be alone.

The pain is almost unbearable.

A/N: I cry when I'm frustrated.