Chapter 62

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

I yawn, and sit up from the bed. I look to the side, Lyla still sleeping peacefully next to me.

That may have been the best Christmas ever.

I go down the stairs, ready to open presents.

"Aren't you going to wait for Jonny and Lyla?" Alex says already downstairs.

"You wake up early." I comment.

"I do." She agrees, "Let's wait for Jonny and Lyla first."

As if on cue, Jonathan stumbles sleepily down the stairs.

"Presents." He mumbles.

Alex giggles, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

We wait patiently for my Lyla to come down the stairs.

When Lyla wakes up, we almost cannot hold ourselves back any longer. We may not be children, but Christmas will always be Christmas.

Lyla walks slowly down the stairs, counting numbers.

"Why are you counting?" Alex asks.

"There are twelve steps in total, i count so i know where to stop." Lyla explains.

"Lyles, careful. There's a guitar case right where you're going, go left." I tell her.

"Thank you." She smiles, and i get up to lead her to the carpet.

"Sit here." I pat the soft ground next to me, and she sits down.

"Are you ready to open presents?" She turns her head at me, a gigantic grin spread across her face.

"Hell ya." Alex says, reaching for her first box and stocking.

We wait for Alex to open her's first, and the present is from me.

"Aw, this is cute!" She holds up the Christmas sweater i bought for her.

"Oh please don't tell me..." Jonathan reaches for his box, tears apart the tissue paper, and chuckles.

"Now all four of us can match with these Christmas sweaters." I laugh.

"Did you really?" Lyla giggles, leaning into my chest. I let her head rest on me for awhile, but Alex interrupts.

"Lyla, what about yours from Pat?" She asks.

Lyla holds out her hand, and I hand her the bag.

I'm about to tell her what's there, but she catches my hand.

"I want to try by myself." She says.

She reaches into the bag, and pulls out the e-reader i bought.

"An iPad?" She guesses.

"Close." I smile. "It's an e-reader, i know how much you've missed your books. It reads to you."

"Oh, i have missed my books." Lyla agrees.

She reaches into the bag again, and pulls out the iPod shuffle i bought her.

"iPod shuffle." She grins.

"Yeah." I smile, taking the small object from her hands.

There was no point in an iPod touch. Lyla can't see, and I really wanted to get her something that she could use.

"I put all my favourite songs in it." I plug in the headphones, and put them in Lyla's ears.

"A mixed tape? Kaner, you're cheesier than i though." Jonathan teases.

"Well i love it." Lyla assures me.

I stick my tongue out at him, and he shrugs.

"Open mine next." Alex suggests.

"Lyla, why don't you go first?" Jonathan hands her a large box wrapped poorly.

"I can't wrap presents to save my life." Alex sighs.

"It's okay," Lyla grins, "Can't see, remember?"

She tears off the wrapping paper and pulls out paint supplies. There's paints, pencils, colour pencils, markers, and so many more.

"Oh, my." Lyla feels the supplies, knowing exactly what she recieved.

"Just because you can't see, doesn't mean you can't make art." Alex grins.

"Thank you so much." Lyla opens her arms, and Alex hugs her tightly.

We all understand each other so well, that presents are not a problem.

We finish opening presents, and Lyla tugs me into our room.

"I need to tell you something." She says quietly.

I can tell this is serious, so we sit down first.

"What is it?" I take her hand.

She struggles to get it out, and tears start to well up in her stormy eyes.

Oh no...

"Lyles, tell me, what's bothering you?" I pull her closer, and she cries silently.

"Its back." She says, "The pain. I never show it because I'm afraid you'll send me away to the hospital, but I'm scared." Her voice is shaking, and i press my lips against her temple.

"No." I say, "You're not going to be sick again, alright?" I assure her, "I won't let that happen."

"You can't do anything about it, I can't do anything about it. Pat, I'm scared. What if... what if i die?" The last part comes out a whisper, and i turn towards her.

I put my hands on both her shoulders, and pull back.

"You. Will. Not."

I kiss her, letting Lyla melt into me. She pulls back, our lips still so close.

I want to stop her words by kissing her but she won't let me.

"I'm sick, Patrick." Her warm breath lightly tickles my lips, and i can't take it anymore.

"I don't understand. What do you mean you're sick?" I ask.

"It's not just my eyesight that's gone. There's been so much pain in my head lately, i don't know what's going on. I feel like something's going to happen... and then i won't be here anymore."

"Lyla, please stop. Don't talk like that. I forbid you."

"I'm serious, Pat." Her voice sounds like she's been screaming all day, it's raspy all of a sudden.

All i want to do is kiss her, but she's not letting me.

"You won't die. I'm sure it's just nothing." I murmur.

"No, just listen. It feels like my brain is racking for answers and can't find them. I feel lost sometimes. The back of my head where all the surgeries have been done in Ireland... it hurts." She frowns.

"Then we'll go to the doctor."

I try to distract her. She doesn't need to be thinking about dying when she's 24.

"I don't want to die." She says, shaking.

"Lyla, shut up."

I silence her by pressing my lips to hers. I don't want to hear her talk about death, a life without her.

"Pat." She whispers in between my kisses.

I move my hands towards her waist and her legs instinctively wrap around my waist.

"Shh, Lyles." I grumble, "I just want to kiss you right now."

She lets out a huff of a laugh, and I know that she's strong. I love kissing her, i really do.

But today, there's something nagging me at the back of my head. Just something small.

She will not die.

A/N: This story is coming to an end... just a heads up! I'm writing a Tyler Bozak story next, he plays on the Leafs. Search him up if you don't know him!