8 | Same But Different

E I G H T

~Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go~

a d e l i n

"So who's our captain?" Tris questions.

"Mason Kingsley." Noah mutters, his voice is barely audible over the song. Candice brightens, a wide grin already on her face as she moves to a smirking Mase.

"And." Noah adds, speaking up and it's as though the whole room stops, everyone except Noah who follows with "Caleb Carter is your co-captain."

Ash moves towards Noah "It's o-" she halts abruptly, eyes comically wide as she chuckles nervously and reroutes towards Caleb "I mean, I called it." she gives Caleb a quick hug, stepping away before he can even process it.

The exchange isn't missed by Noah or Tris but they don't linger on the odd moment because Tris punches Noah's arm a little too forcefully "Seriously dude? I'm disappointed, I wasted a perfectly good bet on you." Noah only glares at him, rubbing the spot.

My cousin in uncharacteristically quiet, only exchanging brief glances with Ash so in attempts to cheer him up I join him and not a second later so does Coco.

And I'd say my mission is accomplished because his whole demeanour morphs as he takes the cat into his arms and showers her with kisses.

"There's my princess." his hair and Coco's fur are the near identical shade and blend in together as he nuzzles into her "Who's my best girl?" she meows back, as though in conversation with him "Yes, you are!"

The scene makes me grin and as I catch sight of Ash and the enamoured expression she wears, I know she throughly enjoys it too.

"You truly are a disappointment." I ruffle his white hair-something he always takes severe offense to-once he stops attacking Coco. Pulling away, he points a finger in warning at me "Watch it. And you love me, so drop the act."

I monotone "That was before you made me lose a crucial bet."

"Liar." he pokes my ribs "I'm adorable." poke "Irresistible" poke "Amazing" poke "A-" this time, I grab his finger "Arrogant" bend "Irritating" bend "Annoyi-" now I'm cut off as he laughs nervously, pulling me towards.

"Okay okay, we get it." he jokes, freeing his finger and pouting down at it. I smile, looking up to find Caleb's eyes already on us.

Why is he looking at us like that?

Walking over to him with crossed arms, I tell him "You lost. The bet was held for the Captain's position." by now everyone's occupied with their own conversations, music once again blasting through the speakers.

Amused, he answers "Last time I checked, Co-captain in also the captain." he unwraps a mini bar of Mars from the jar of chocolates Laura had placed on the coffee table "Besides, I didn't want to be Captain in the first place."

That manages to surprise me "Why?" he leisurely takes a bite of the bar, a string of caramel falling on his lip "Because" he flicks a tongue over the bottom lip, my eyes follow the movement.

"Mase deserved it way more than me. He has both, great talent and a passion for the sport. I don't plan on pursuing soccer as my career." my distracted brain registers the word with more surprise.

"Well..congratulations."

"That's it?" finishing the chocolate in another bite "I'm afraid that won't cut it" he shakes his head in disappointment, trying and failing to stifle a smirk from gracing his handsome face.