23 | Miracle Worker

T W E N T Y    T H R E E

~I'm the canvas, you're the art. It's a mess when we're apart~

a d e l i n

By the time everyone finishes cramming their luggage in their cars, half an hour has passed.

I trudge behind my friends as they make sure they're not forgetting anything, a tissue tightly pressed against my runny nose.

"...all three of Tris's guitars, Ash's outfits are in the backseat of Noah's car and my girlfriend's scripts. All here." Mase lists off, pocketing his phone "That's about everything."  the cold wind ruffles his hazel hair and I pull my fluffy blanket tighter around myself.

"Then can we get moving, mother hen?" Tris asks from where he's leaning against his Ferrari. 

Mase doesn't bother with a reply and Jas all but pushes Tris into his car in order to avoid any arguments.

We say our goodbyes, all seven of my friends start to get in their assigned cars until only Danny lingers, he turns to Caleb and me.

"Make sure to use protection." He whispers, winking cheekily, making me want to slap him hard across his face to remove the truimph smirk he's sporting.

Caleb chuckles from beside me. No one would've been able to guess that the boy in front of me and the one next to me were near strangers just a few moments ago.

"I'm on birth control and mind your own business, asshole." he's laughing when he gets in his car and races off not a second after.

Once my driveway is free of cars, I turn around, pushing the door open to go back into the warm haven of my home. Ploping on the couch, I let my head fall back on the huge pillows when I feel the couch dip near me. 

Keeping my eyes open is a challenge, I tilt my head, finding Caleb staring at me with sympathetic eyes.

He opens his arms for me, beckoning.

Without second thoughts, I scoot closer to him and rest my head on his chest, letting out a satisfied sigh as his arm wraps around my shoulder and his head rests atop mine.

With the heat radiating off his body now enveloping mine, my eyes droop. Laying against him I feel more than content, comfortable for the first time since I've woken up.

Playing hard to get be damned. 

My mind simply refuses to function properly, each cell in my body is ordering me to rest so I do, laying limply in Caleb's arms. Drifting off into a dark inviting hole.

*^*^*^*^*^*^

My eyes flutter when I feel something soft meet my forehead, the sensation lasting only for a brief second before fading away.

My nostrils flare as a delicious aroma curls around me.

A soothing voice follows, whispering "Come on, gorgeous. Wake up, you need to eat something and then take your meds."

Refraining from groaning, I open my eyes. In front of me stands the dashing brown-eyed boy holding a glass of water in one hand and a few pills in the other.

I slowly sit up, my body protesting against the action, and notice the grey blanket draped on me.

"How long have I been asleep for and what smells so good?" I ask groggily as I take the medicines from Caleb, mumbling a "thank you" before downing the capsules without another thought and gulping down the water a moment after.