xi

"why does the kid in the bleachers keep looking at you?"

     "i have no idea, but he looks away every time i make eye contact with him," byeongkwan answers quietly to jihoon.

     "he seems to like you," jihoon immediately assumes.

    "how can you tell?" byeongkwan's shoulder drop and his head tills, his eyelids lowering sarcastically.

     "just the way the kid looks at you," jihoon states. "or he's just watching you because he wants to participate."

     "why can't he participate?"

     jihoon gives byeongkwan the sarcastic look that byeongkwan gave him. "do you not see his crutches and his prosthetic?"

     byeongkwan looks over his shoulder to the student seeing in the bleachers alone, currently scanning over a book. he sees the fake leg propped up on his backpack, visible to everyone in the gym.

     "aish, wonder what happened to his actual leg," byeongkwan says, cringing slightly. he felt a bit upset for the boy, but he knew he couldn't do anything to fix the problem he had.

     "well, don't say anything about it, you meant offend him," jihoon mutters to byeongkwan.

     "why?"

     "i once asked why this old lady was blind in a convenient store, and she struck out at me because i asked. i got a lot of staring from others around us."

     "aish."

      "yeah, so let's just ignore him for now," jihoon says, looking up at the boy in the bleachers, seeing him looking at the two. when the boy makes eye contact with jihoon, he looks away immediately, flustered. "and just finish p.e. already."

       byeongkwan nods, and him and jihoon walk back to their basketball team, selected by coach chae. the opposite team was waiting for the game to start as well.

     byeongkwan feels a small lump form in his throat. he looks over to the kid in the bleachers, sitting on the opposite side of the room. the two's eyes meet for a split second, and byeongkwan feels himself become red. that split second seemed to last a minute, and byeongkwan missed when coach chae said:

    "okay, games starts in 3, 2," and a whistle is blown.

     ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

     "have you guys seen byeongkwan?"

     "no."

     "where is he?"

     "i don't know, i saw him in p.e. class, he wasn't behind me when i entered the lunchroom."

     "'sup dorks."

     "oh my fucking god, go away." jihoon looks at yoochan with an annoyed expression. yoochan just shrugs.

    "how come you like to tease us during lunch?" youngjae asks, tapping his fingers against the wooden and polished lunchroom table.

      "it's not you i like to tease, it's byeongkwan-"

     "will you back off already?" jihoon stands up, annoyed and obviously pissed.

     "sure," yoochan responses with a quirky smile. it put jihoon on edge, but when yoochan walked away, jihoon sits down peacefully.

     "still no sign of byeongkwan?" youngjae asks, looking at jihoon.

     jihoon shakes his head. "maybe mrs. ou gave him lunch detention or something."