20

[][][][][]

Kaya's POV

If Kaya knew that a small 'are you okay' or a smile directed towards Chris can make him this happy, she would have done it long ago. She sat on the rock, chatting with Chris. Chatting like normal teenage kids. Only problem, Chris didn't have much to speak about and he was shy. Very shy.

She knew he felt a little uncomfortable around her, but she was happy that he didn't refuse when she offered to be his friend. In fact, he smiled. He smiled at her for the first time. Even though it was a small one, it was the brightest smile she's ever seen. He smiled and nodded before sitting next to her on the rock awkwardly as she tried to start a conversation.

They sat over there till the sun set.

"We need to go. I need to be back at home by eight." Kaya said standing up and Chris nodded, following her to the car. The ride back was filled with comfortable silence. Soon, the radio was turned on and light music took over the silence as Kaya drove. She could sense that Chris was in deep thought so she let him be.

Once Chris pointed out the directions to his house and they were there, Chris turned to look at Kaya and smiled again. Kaya returned the gesture with her own. She somehow liked to smile around him. Not the fake one she uses to greet teachers or friends at school, but a genuine one. A heartfelt one.

"So, are you coming to school tomorrow?" she asked and he just shook his head.

"No." he whispered. Well, his part of the conversations they had, consisted mostly of one word answers so she didn't mind much when Chris didn't elaborate.

And then, she surprised herself by scooting towards him and engulfing him in a warm embrace. She knew the importance of support and Kaya hoped that this conveys that she is there to help him. Chris stiffened under her hold, like he didn't like it, so Kaya quickly released him.

She stared into his deep, dull black eyes, "Don't give up Chris." She muttered, more to herself than to him. Chris just looked at her for a second longer and left. 

Kaya stared at him as he opened the door to his small house and went inside without turning back. She sighed and looked ahead, at the empty road in front of her.

She didn't have to be back home at eight. She lied. Kaya couldn't keep staring at Chris who kept reminding her of Matt. They somehow shared a few similar features. 

It's a complete co-incidence. She knew it but Kaya grew tired of keeping her tears at bay. She didn't want to break down in front of Chris. She wanted to support him, not the other way around. So now that Chris has finally left, her first tear fell. Probably making a trail of eyeliner down her cheek, spoiling her make up.

She started the car and drove towards what she now calls home. Tears betrayed her as she thought of the moments she shared with Matt. The laughs, the cries, the places they've been to, the kisses they shared, everything replayed in front of her till she reached home.

'Live for the moments you can't put into words', is what Matt always said when Kaya questioned him on what to live for, and now, she's planning to share them.

[][][][][]