42

[][][][][]

"Chris?" Lara's voice said with a tone of urgency once he answered the call.

"Lara? What happened?" He asked, calling her Lara since he was asked to when she was out of duty or not at the station.

"It's you're father. He got bailed by someone named Brett. You know who he is?" She asked and all colour left Chris's face. His father was out. After one week, he was out and that's the only thing he heard.

"What happened?" Kaya cautiously asked him.

"Brett is my dad's ex colleague." Chris choked out, still in shock and end the call. He growled in frustration and kicked the coffee table in front of him with so much force, it moved a few feet away and Kaya backed off.

"Sorry." He muttered and buried his face in his palms. He felt like crying but didn't want to shed another tear because of his father. But of course, Chris should have known crying and pain is inevitable with his father out.

"What is it Chris?" Kaya asked Chris, putting her hand gently on his shoulder.

"He's got bailed out." He said and Kaya's eyes widened and she stared at the floor not knowing what to do or say.

"Can't you get a restraining order or something?" And Chris perked up. Of course there are ways to stay away from his dad. And since this house belongs to his mom and not his dad, he wouldn't be able to step foot in this property if he gets a restraining order.

"But isn't that temporary?" Chris asked Kaya who was smiling.

"Nah! once you're eighteen you can just run away with me. So you just gotta make sure the restraining order is legal for two years." Kaya explained with a gorgeous grin and Chris smiled back at her before pecking her lips.

"I'll speak to Lara tomorrow about getting a restraining order and also about the adoption." He said.

"And what about our date then?" She asked with a cute pout.

"One, I don't know how to drive and two, I'm sorry but I don't exactly know where to take you." Chris honestly said scratching his neck,completely embarrassed and Kaya just pinched his cheek with a laugh making him scowl.

"Who said you were taking me?" Chris gave Kaya a questioning look. 

"Well, I'll be the one taking you. On Friday, right after school." She said and picked up her bag.

"You're not staying?" Kaya shook her head.

"I need to be at the orphanage by six." She said and bent down to kiss him before leaving.

Chris just switched on the TV and flipped through the channels.

His father might be out but he knows that he's safe tonight since the first place his father would go to would be the bar and then he would pass out.

Life is going on great for Chris. Knowing a girl for two months changed his life. But he can just hope that it remains the same and wish that nothing bad would happen.

When you break glass, you might not be able to fix it. But Chris's glass-like life is miraculously being fixed piece by piece and all he can do is hope it wouldn't just break right again when it's already so fragile.

He can't take another stab in his life and he'll fight for his freedom this time.

He was taught to fight, by a light that brightly shone in his dark life in the form of Kaya, who eliminated the darkness .

And he'll make her proud.

[][][][][]