48

[][][][][]

For a second, everything went silent. Everything went still, like it was just a normal, peaceful day. And then suddenly, Kaya's grip on Chris's hand loosened and he felt her fall down on the floor next to him.

He looked down, only to stare at Kaya's lifeless body, limp, her eyes closed and her skin getting pale in a matter of seconds.

Chris looked at her with wide eyes, not able to grasp what happened. And then, slowly, he let out a silent, soft sob and kneeled next to her. He shook her slightly as another sob left his lips. He heard his father laugh before his hearing went numb. All he could see was blood slowly seeping out of Kaya's white t-shirt, which was turning pink. Her breathing becoming rapid. 

Before it slowly stopped.

Is she...Is she really...

He didn't know what to do. It was like all of a sudden, Chris's feelings, emotions, fear and senses were washed away like footprints on a beach. All of a sudden, Chris was in hell as he stared at a beautiful girl's, pale, lifeless body, and his breathing grew heavier. It was not just any girl, but the girl who saved him. The girl who he had feelings for. His light. 

His light that slowly faded away with every passing second.

And then he heard another shot before his hearing returned and he could now decipher what the monster was telling.

"-serves you right. Now that the girl is gone, we can talk." He said and Chris heard footsteps retreat towards the living room.

Only then did Chris make a sound.

He cried. He cried really hard, choked and sobbed so painfully as he heard people banging on his front door.  A few shouts were heard from outside but Chris just held Kaya's body which was no more moving and shook her forcefully, calling her name again and again, ordering her to wake up. His screams were so bloodcurdling, Chris's ears couldn't handle them. He forcefully shook Kaya, trying to get her to open her eyes from which a few tears escaped.

But she didn't oblige. She stayed still, her blood tainting Chris's arms and face as he pulled at his hair, not knowing what to do.

It was like when he first heard that his mother would never come back. Except this time, it was a million times harder.

A million times more painful.

It hurt more than ever to know that the girl he loves just stopped breathing. Faded away into darkness.

The girl he loved.

Oblivion.

That's what he felt. Like he was in oblivion at that very moment.

[][][][][]