50

[][][][][]

"I'm so sorry." The doctor said with a grave expression on her face, shaking her head and Lara, with teary eyes, looked at Chris who was emotionless. 

He felt nothing anymore. 

He was back to step one. 

Being numb. 

Chris knew that he lost Kaya when he noticed her fall limply on the ground next to him. But the small, tiny amount of hope he had, just vanished. 

This was reality.

She really is gone.

He lost her. All because she was with him at the wrong time.

He walked towards the nearest chair and silently sat on it as Lara came and sat beside him.

He remained completely still. He just sat on the chair with so much stillness, Lara was scared if he would suddenly break once she touched him.

"Chris, pl-" But she was cut off,

"We've just been on our first date." Chris spoke out softly, limply with no emotion and Lara looked at him with tears in her eyes, her daughter silently sitting next to her. "She was scared. I could feel it. I could feel her fear when she saw my father." He looked up at Lara, "She died because of me, didn't she? Why?" 

He remained silent, all the pain returning. Lara didn't say anything, knowing nothing would help him at the moment. She just hugged him and held him, just like how Chris's mother would.

It's hard to breathe when your heart yearns for someone you know you'll never see again. And that's what Chris was feeling.

It was getting hard for him to breathe fresh air.

He can't see Kaya's contagious smile again.

He can't feel her touch again.

He can't hear her melodic voice again.

He cannot kiss her again.

And now, he can't breath.

[][][][][]