47

[][][][][]

As the gun came into clear view, like a shiny, silver death line, Chris and Kaya both frantically backed away.

"What the hell? Father, put that down." Chris shouted, panic evident in his eyes and voice. His father was completely drunk and Chris knew that something had to be done before it was too late. How did he get the gun, Chris would never know.

"Don't move." His father ordered and both of them stood in their place, Kaya completely horrified and Chris scared and both of them shaking. The front door was at least a good ten feet away and it was closed. There was no immediate escape.

Suddenly Chris's father lowered the gun a little and started talking, "I've never wanted to have a child, you know," He looked at Chris with disgust. "But Millie always wanted a son, so how could I say no when I loved her so much? And once you were born, Millie hardly went out with me anymore." He said and Chris's eyes teared up hearing his mothers name said out aloud for the first time in years. Kaya reached out to him discreetly and squeezed his hand in comfort and fear.

Chris could feel her shaking beside him and he wanted nothing more than to get her out of here and keep her safe. 

Then Chris's dads eyes shifted to Kaya and the rage in them returned, "So this is the girl who helped you put me behind the fucking bars." He raved, lifting up the gun and pointing at Kaya who gulped, her eyes turning glossy with unshed tears. Her grip on Chris's hand was so tight, his hand went completely white.

Chris looked at the pointed gun and pushed Kaya behind him as a tear slid down her cheek and held his hand out at his dad. Pleading him to put the gun down. "Father, please. We can talk. J-just let me send her out." He said, taking another cautious step back. But Kaya just left his hand and came front to stand beside him. "Run in the count of three." She whispered in Chris's ear as she stood next to him and Chris didn't know if it was the right thing to do.

"This girl is pretty. You're mother would've liked her you know. If she was still alive that is." He continued speaking, taking a step forward, the gun still raised. "Ever since you were born, I hated you. Despised you. And after you killed my Millie, I wanted nothing more than to kill you. But slowly. I wanted to kill you slowly." His words hurt but he was getting closer to them and Chris couldn't care less about his emotions at that moment.

Just then, Kaya choked on another sob, gripped Chris's hand tightly and started lowly, "One." she whispered, "two," Chris gripped her hand tightly.

"Don't even think about running you two." His father stopped them. "I know what you're planning." He said, an evil smirk playing on his lips.

And suddenly, a deafening shot was heard.

[][][][][]