26

[][][][][]

As they sat in the car, staring at the present in silence and accepting the future at the same time, Kaya turned to Chris with a huge smile.

"So now that Ms. Felps is being taken care of, you want some ice-cream?" She asked and Chris smiled. Taking that as an answer, Kaya started the car and headed to the nearest ice-cream parlor.

As Chris stared at Kaya, he realized that she was the only person who reached out to him in eons. She actually is the only person, who spoke to him in eight years, other than the teachers, his father, and the customers at the book store, none who cared about him. And he was grateful for that.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Kaya chuckled, not taking her eyes off the road.

"Hey Kaya?" Kaya nodded, telling Chris that she's listening. And Chris just realized that this is the first time he actually spoke her name out loud. "Thanks for being my friend." He said and sighed, closing his eyes and resting his head on the headrest.

"I'm always there for you Chris." Was all she said, but even while closing his eyes, Chris could feel her smile. He could picture her with closed eyes. She was etched in his mind.

The rest of the ride was silent and Chris just stared at the trees and at the people they passed by.

But even though all his problems are not solved, even after knowing that his dad is waiting at home, probably angry and ticked off in a bad mood, right now, all that mattered was that he's slowly trying to fight. With help of course, but he's still trying to fight.

All because of his friend. The girl sitting right next to him, humming a tune he found completely adorable.

And then, he did something he's never thought he'd ever do again. He laughed.

Chris laughed at how ridiculous he finds the thought of his life changing with Kaya in it. But this thought is becoming a reality.

He genuinely laughed after a long time and Kaya joined him, though he knew she doesn't know the exact reason why he's laughing.

[][][][][]