52

[][][][][]

Three days later

It was Kaya's funeral. So fast. So quick.

Chris still couldn't believe that she was gone. That she was gone because of him.

No more bookstore meet ups, no more chats between classes, no more guidance, no more help, no more sweet kisses.

Chris felt so strongly for her, he didn't know someone can miss a person so much.

He didn't sleep since she died. He didn't eat. Heck! He did nothing.

When he closed his eyes, all he could see was Kaya's bloody, lifeless body once she was shot. When he was awake, all he could think of was how he will never see her again. How she can never wake up and how all her dreams are shattered now.

Now that he thinks about it, Kaya has stayed with him every single day since they met. She met him everyday and talked to him when no one did. She helped him out at school and helped him get Ms Felps arrested. Fought his battles with him and shared his scars. She always understood him and showed him what to live for.

Three months with her and he knew what to live for.

Her. 

He would live for her. Chris woke up everyday with a smile knowing that he would meet her, that he would meet someone who genuinely cared for him.

Kaya helped him.

But all Chris did in return was get her into his mess. And killed her in the process. Now, guilt and pain were gnawing his insides and he doesn't know how he'll recover from them.

The church was decorated with white flowers. Nothing extravagant. Just a small, normal funeral for a girl so strong, kind and lovable.

But the fact that there were small children and teens filling the place instead of relatives made it special.

Almost the entire orphanage were at the funeral with most of Kaya's senior year classmates and even a few juniors. Even Rick and his friends came and they didn't even bother Chris. In fact, they gave him their apologies and just left him alone. Emerald accompanied Chris and they settled down at the front with the keepers of the orphanage Kaya lived in.

Her father was there. Yes. 

He came with his wife and also had tears in his eyes. Chris wanted to punch him for that. He didn't deserve to cry after what he did. 

Chris still hasn't seen Kaya and doesn't intend on doing so either. Seeing her in the coffin just confirms that she's really dead and he can't bear it.

Soon, the priest started speaking a few lines and the entire church went completely silent.

Everyone concentrated on every word that was spoken, but Chris just stared at his palms, not listening to anything.

He just thought about how it would be without her from now. He kept asking himself, 'what if she was still alive? What if he were shot instead and she was still living? At least there would've been someone who would light up the darkness in this world.'

[][][][][]