49

[][][][][]

Chris held Kaya close. People tried to grab hold of him and get Kaya out of his grip, but he just pushed them away and held her and cried.

He didn't know what was going one. He was in shock.

When he glanced up, he saw that the front door was open and a little wood had come off and people were looking at him from out, an ambulance parked itself next to Kaya's car and soon a police car came into view. He was surrounded by two women, his neighbors tried getting him to leave Kaya's body and to help him to stand but Chris wouldn't budge.

Chris turned to his left where he saw three men holding his father in a tight grip and the gun was lying on the floor.

But he couldn't understand why everything was happening. The only thing Chris realized was that another person, very dear to him, left him.

Suddenly, a rough arm grabbed Chris and pulled him on his feet and the man immediately left and Lara's sad, sympathetic eyes came into his view. But he just looked past her as a medic worked on Kaya, and ordered a few nurses to put her on a stretcher. Soon, she was taken away and only then did Chris actually listen to what Lara was trying to say.

"-I'll take you there." She said and led him to her car.

Chris choked on a few sobs and entered the passenger side of the car only to notice a small nine or ten year old blond girl sitting in the backseat, her thumb in her mouth and with a frown on her face.

As Lara drove, Chris stared outside the window, his tear stained face getting dried by the wind. 

He didn't know what he'd do if something happened to her.

And all of a sudden, Chris had this sudden burst of anger to hurt his father. He wanted to kill him but he wanted to give up at the same time. This was just too much to handle.

What he was feeling at the moment, is the worst kind of pain he's known. It hurt so much, he couldn't get a word out.

As he saw the trees and people pass by, all he could think was, there was nothing else for him to lose. Nothing left for him.

But there was this tiny hope that he would suddenly jolt awake and realize that this was all a bad dream. A very very bad dream. The worst nightmare.

[][][][][]