Chapter 5: Pirates

I follow the dirt road all the way into town. Pulling my hood further down over my face, I blend in with the bustling crowd. The stench of the people fills my nostrils, I struggle to keep the contents of my stomach down. My eyes observe the people's sullen faces, most of them are so thin, their bones show. My eyes widen as they catch sight of two royal guards talking to a local merchant. I drop into a crouch behind some old crates. I press my ear to the crates to hear the conversation better. 

"We've been having problems with them ever since they've arrived. They take what they want and destroy the rest," the merchants says before lowering his voice.

 "And last week, a girl was taken. They say she was the wool farmer's daughter." 

My eyes widen, what would the pirates want with her? I cringe as the crate I'm leaning on creaks. Thankfully, a cart goes by at the same time, masking the sound. I slowly back away from the crates and start walking down the dirt road through the town, making sure my face is covered. I'm so busy adjusting my hood, I don't notice a rock sitting on the ground. My boot hits it and I brace for the pain, but it never comes. I look up to find a young man steadying me. I jump up and pull my arms out of his. 

The corners of his lips pull up into a smile. "You better watch where you're goin next time missy."