Chapter 13: Friends

Darien offers me his arm and I take it. He leads me back into the ballroom, which seems to have filled up with even more guests than before I ran out. My mother has moved to her place on the Queen mother's throne, while King Mason stands next to her. Their lips are moving, but I'm not close enough to hear anything. 

Darien leans down to my ear. "We need to talk." 

I scoff. "We are talking." 

He shoots me a look. "No, in private." 

I roll my eyes. "Fine, I'll tell my mother I'm showing you to your room." 

He nods and I unhook my arm from his. My heels click on the floor as I stride up to my mother. "I'm going to retire, mother. I'll show Darien his room on the way to mine." 

She looks annoyed but waves me off. I lead Darien into the corridor outside the ballroom and up the winding staircase to the rooms. Once we reach the top, I grab one of the torches off the wall. Darien wraps his fingers around my wrist as he takes it from my hand.

 "What are you doing?" I hiss in the darkness. 

The torchlight illuminates his sharp features. "You might burn yourself." 

I resist an eye roll and push aside the tapestry we're standing next to. Slipping my necklace off, I fit the key pendant into the lock and push the hidden door open.