Chapter 42

"I have a plan," Darien says, crouching down to tie his laces. 

"Is it a good plan?" I ask, placing my hands on my hips. 

He finishes the laces and stands up. 

"I have a plan," he repeats. 

He brushes past me and keeps walking. I rush to catch up with him. 

His eyes land on me for a brief moment before turning back to the road. 

"The stables are about fifty yards from here, I will sneak in and grab two horses."

I gawk at him. "That's your brilliant plan?" 

He looks offended. "You know, I never said it was brilliant."

"And what am I going to do? Sit around like a pretty princess and wait for my pirate prince to bring me a horse?" I ask, rolling my eyes. 

"Pffft, no. I have a much better idea," he says with a mischievous smile playing on his lips.  

.............

A few minutes later, I'm strutting into the town square with the fakest smile I've ever worn on my face and a crimson dress hanging off my shoulders that Darien "borrowed" from a young girl. 

Darien's words run through my head. 

"You are the distraction. Make the people watch you while I sneak into the stables and take the horses." 

I shake my head to clear it and focus ahead of me. Inhaling a sharp breath, I shove past the throng of busybodies and drag a crate out from behind a stone wall. I pull it to the middle of the square. I hop on it and clear my throat. Slowly, people's heads start turning towards me. 

Okay, you're up here, now what? 

I open my mouth, but no sound comes out. 

"What are you doing up there, girly?!" An elderly man with one eye shouts. 

"You gonna sing for us, girl?" A middle-aged woman shouts.

My eyes grow wide. "Um, yes?" 

"Can't hear you!" Someone else farther back shouts. 

My eyes nervously look around for Darien. 

Suddenly, the crowd starts chanting. "Sing! Sing! Sing!"

I blink rapidly before a song from my childhood pops into my head.

"Riding with all of my sisters, 

I always knew we had farther to go,

Riding through the empty fields, 

We stuck together through sunshine and snow, 

We rode through the towns in this kingdom-"

Suddenly, Darien bursts out of the stables riding a white horse. The people move away from him as shouts ring through the crowd. Darien circles me. 

"Get on!"

I swallow a scream and jump. Darin snags me around the waist before I hit the ground. Pulling me up onto the horse, he wraps his left around me. He spurs the horse with his boots and we ride faster. I cling to his velvet coat and bury my face into his chest. 

I take a peek over Darien's shoulder to find five guards chasing us. 

"Hold on!"

His muscles tense under his shirt as he urges the horse to jump over the wooden plank being carried by two men. 

The horse lands safely and we keep moving.