Chapter 34

My breath catches.

"She what?" 

Darien avoids my eyes. "Before you arrived, Ailee created many strict rules for the people here, promising them money and food if they obeyed them. Alissa's parents didn't follow those rules, and in return, Ailee killed them. I saw Alissa hiding in a corner. She ran away before she saw what happened." 

He inhales a sharp breath. "Alissa went through what no little girl should have to." 

A tear slips from my eye as I remember my father's death. Swallowing hard, I turn to Darien. 

"We have to tell her."

"Tell me what?"

Darien and I look up to find Alissa standing there, her eyes shining with tears.

"My parents are dead?" 

I inhale a sharp breath and take Alissa's hand. Her eyes grow wide. 

"Alissa..."

Her breathing speeds up as she steps away from me. "They can't be dead, you promised you would find them for me...you-"

She shakes her head and starts to run. 

I stand up and go after her. I hike my skirts up and run as fast as my legs will carry me. I've already lost sight of her. Alissa's small body has disappeared into the dark trees. I look back to find Darien running after me. 

"Alissa!" I shout. 

My breaths come in quick gasps as I force my legs to go faster. Suddenly, a small glow appears in my peripheral vision. I turn my head to find it getting bigger. Darien finally catches up to me. My feet skid to a halt. 

"I don't know where she went," I say, breathing heavily. 

Darien puts his hands on my shoulders as his eyes lock with mine. "We'll find her."

I nod. 

Darien turns to where I'm looking. His baby blues darken. "Uh-oh."

Suddenly, men's shouts ring through the forest, bouncing off of the trees. 

One man in particular's voice sends chills down my spine.

Darien and I lock eyes. "Julius."