Chapter 21

I look at Darien, who's staring at the ship with an unreadable expression on his face. Moments later, a shooting match begins. The bullets fly so fast, it's hard to tell who's winning. I swallow a scream as a body falls from the cliff into the water. Darien pulls me away from it just as a rope is flung from the ship into the waves. Darien wraps one arm around my waist before twisting his fingers around the bottom of the rope. He gives it a slight tug before we're both pulled up into the air. The pirates on the ship pull me up first and gently lay me on the deck before helping Darien in. 

I cough and sputter until my lungs are clear.

 "What a sorry sight for a princess," Darien says with a smirk.

 I shoot him a glare before standing up on shaky legs. 

"You don't look so good yourself, Darien," I croak.

 I suddenly realize where we are. I look around at each fo their rugged faces, years of sailing on the harsh seas etched into their features. 

"You're all pirates," I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

 One of the older ones steps forward. "So this is the little princess you told us about?" 

I clear my throat and stand up straighter. "I am Princess Ariana of The Kingdom of Arania." 

I place my hands on my hips. "And you are?" 

He gives me a deep bow before his lips pull into a lopsided grin. 

"Kalin, Darien's second-in-command."