Chapter 30

Ariana's P.O.V 

I wrap my arms around the little girl who is now crying. 

"I only...took the.....bread...because I was....I was hungry," her small voice says while she cries.

I rub her shoulders and look her in the eyes. "I know, it's okay." 

Her big eyes move to my arm where the royal seal rests. They become even bigger, which I didn't think was possible. 

"You're the princess aren't you? The real one?"

I crease my eyebrows. "What do you mean, the real one?" 

She wipes her tears and sniffles. "That mean lady said she was the real princess, but she had no crest on her arm. My mommy said only the real princess has the crest tattooed on." 

Despite my worry, a smile works its way onto my lips. "So the people here know Ailee is a fake pretending to be me?" 

She nods and wipes the remaining tears from her cheek. I nod and take her hand. 

"I'm going to get us out of here, but you need to trust me and do everything I tell you to, okay?" 

She nods. "Yes, your majesty." 

I inhale a sharp breath and take a peek around the corner of the alleyway we're in. The coast is clear. Tightening my grip on the girl's hand, I lead us out into the cobblestoned path. We've only walked a few meters when a shout rings across the houses. 

"Stop right there!"