Chapter 32

I stand up and tighten my grip on Alissa's hand. 

"Darien?" I ask.

He pushes his sword back into its scabbard and closes the distance between us. 

"Are you okay?" 

I nod. "Yeah, what are you doing here?" 

I step back. "Did you come to kill me?"

He scoffs. "Why would I ask you if you're okay if I want to kill you?" 

He rubs his neck. "Princess, I left Ailee. I should never have supported her, I judged you without really knowing you. And after seeing what you did to save that little girl," he tips his chin at Alissa, "I realized you might not be such a bad ruler after all."

I regard him with wary eyes. "Are you saying you want to help me?" 

He nods, making a piece of white hair fall into his left baby blue. 

"It won't be easy. Ailee isn't the only opposer you have. My men have sent word that Julius and his men want the kingdom for themselves."

He takes a step closer to me. "I want to protect you, and help you." 

"Give me your sword."

He unsheathes it and hands it to me. 

My eyes lock with his. "Kneel." 

He drops to one knee. I take his sword and touch each shoulder. 

"Do you swear to protect me and stay by my side until I become Queen of Arania?" 

He bows his head. "I swear on my life, your majesty."

I tip my chin. "Then rise, my knight." 

....................

"You seriously expect me to sleep in there?" I ask, looking at the blackened trees with an appalled expression on my face.

He nods. "Princess, it may not be the silk bed you're used to. But at least it's safe. Ailee's followers are after you, and I have no idea what Julius will do once he figures out you're here. Sleeping in the forest is the best option for all of us right now."

 I look at Alissa, whose tiny hand is still holding mine. Sighing, I look at Darien. 

"Fine." I push past him and hold Alissa close to me to comfort her.

 The small voice in my head scoffs. 

You sure you aren't comforting yourself?

Hello loves! New chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts! Once again, I just want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read my story. It means so much to me!