Letting Go

Jacob's P.O.V

It was a Sunday. I had just came in from the YMCA and picking Jojo up from the neighbor's house; she was babysitting. I unlocked the front door and carried Jojo in. I set him down in his crib. And I grabbed the remote off the living room table. But I was looking on my phone as I pressed the power button on the remote. I didn't hear the T.V come on so I looked up. It was gone. So was the PlayStation 4 and my games. I threw down the remote and ran upstairs. I went in my room; my T.V was still in place, but my Xbox one and my Tablet was gone. I checked the rest of the rooms and saw that other electronics were missing. Mom. The only person who could have done it. And I knew it was her. She was the only one other than Granny who knew the security code to the front and back door. And why would my Granny steal from us. But I called Granny just to make sure.
" Hey, JJ baby, how you doin'," she said as soon as I said hello.
" Granny, someone robbed us, almost all of the electronics are gone. I think it was mom".
" WHAT!! Are you and Josiah alright, was he in the house by himself. Where's your damn mama at!"
" We're ok Granny, Jojo was at the neighbors and I had went to get him when I came home from playing basketball. I don't even know where she is but she left her car here so I'm about to drive over to you and drop Jojo off.... I need to figure some things out right now," I told her, I clenched my fist. She heard the anger in my voice and told me to hurry up and bring Josiah over. She told me not to call the police. I ran down the stairs, grabbed the car keys from the kitchen table, picked up Jojo in his carrier and made my way to Granny's house. She was outside waiting when I pulled up in the car.
" JJ, you need to calm down, your mama is sick and needs help, but we can't help her if she doesn't want to be helped," my granny told me and pulled me into a hug. Hot tears ran down my face. I was beyond angry at that point; so I pulled out of the hug and told her I was going to ride down to the park to clear my head. She took Josiah and told me not to be too late. Riding through the city, I headed to the park near the lake. I got to a red light in rush hour traffic and looked to my right. I knew I was going to be stuck at that light for a while. In order to get to the lake, I had to pass through the roughest part of the city. But I was used to it by now. As I looked at this boarded house on the corner, a woman came out. Her hair was all over the place, clothes were out of place, and she looked sick. Traffic started to move slowly, so I got closer to the house on the corner. The closer I got the more familiar the lady looked. Finally I was close enough to see who it was. Mom. Outside; sitting on the porch holding herself, looking pitiful and high. I lost it. My anger took over me, and I quickly steered in the right lane and turned the corner. I didn't even park the car, I just hopped out of it once I turned. Slamming, the car door shut I ran to where she was. As soon as I she saw it was me she got up.
" Jacob, wha... what are you doing here," she said to me as she was barely able to stand up. Her body was twitching. It took everything in me not to hurt her. She was still my Mom and I would never put my hands on her.
" Where's our stuff," I asked her, trying to stay as calm as I could. She looked gulity for a second but then a look of confusion came across her face. I knewshe was about to lie.
" What stuff JJ?" I blew up, my anger could no longer be contained.
" YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!! THE LIVING ROOM T.V, THE PLAYSTATION AND GAMES, MY XBIX AND MY TABLET AND PLENTY OTHER SHIT IS GONE! WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO IT?"
" Boy you must have lost your damn rabbit ass mind yellin' at me like that, I'm ya mama".
" Oh, now you wanna play the "mama" role? Last time I checked mother's don't steal from their kids and from their own houses for some crack. You're not my mama, I don't know who you are anymore. Look at you; you can barely talk and stand without holdin' on to somethin'. How could you do this to me and Josiah? You don't care about nobody but yourself. You ain't nothin but a crackhead and I don't wanna see you again." I was crying, but I quickly wiped my tears away. I turned and start heading back to the car. I heard her call my name.
" JJ....". I turnt back around and snatched the gold basketball and hoop chain she bought for me off my neck. She was on her knees, crying. She looked up at me and reached out for me.
" JJ, I'll get help, I....I". I threw the chain on the ground in front of her and left her there. Once I got back in the car I held my tears until Igot to the park. I sat on one of the benches and let it all out.
After that day, I vowed I would never let me, Granny, and Jojo go through that again. Soon after I got my job in the Italian restaurant in the mall. I saved up every dollar bill, quarter, nickel and dime I got in tips as well as my pay checks, so I could replace everything that was stolen. Granny became our legal guardian and moved in with me and Jojo. I thank the Lord for her. I continued playing basketball because it's what kept me going other than Jojo and music. The years went by and I haven't seen nor heard from my Mom. Until now; 3 years later.

I can't find the words to say. Apparently she can't either; she's just staring at me. Granny's truck isn't in the driveway so I'm guessing her and Jojo went to go run an errand. I walk closer to the house. She looks healthy, like before; like she never touched a crack pipe in her life. But I'm not putting anything past her.
" Who brought you here," I ask her, hiding any emotion in my voice.
" Your Granny picked me up from my house after she picked Josiah up from Day Care earlier on today."
" So you've been in contact with Granny for how long now?" So this is why Granny's been acting strange lately. Getting secret phone calls all throughout the day; I thought she was trying to hide a boyfriend or something.
" I've been in contact with her for at least 4 months. I had to make sure I got myself together before I could come back to my family."
" What family?" She looks hurt but the anger keeps me from caring.
" You think you can come back into our lives after 3 years; after everything you put us through? Like we're supposed to forget that you stole almost everything we had, you abandoned us for drugs or whatever else you were doing.? nah you trippin'."
" Jacob I've been clean for 2 years now, I went back to school and I'm working on getting my Bachelor's degree in business so I can open up my new shop soon. I've got a job workin' for this hair salon. It hasn't been a single day I haven't wanted ti come home and be with y'all. Everything I've done; I regret it. But I'm here to apologize and make things right again." Tears rush down my face.
" You were my bestfriend Mama, you hurt me so bad, I never thought you would come back. I.... I didn't know you were alive, I thought you died. Do you know how much that hurt? Not knowing whether if you were somewhere in a ditch dead. I...". I drop to my knees and break down.  She pulls me close to her and I feel her tears fall on my back.
" JJ, I'm so sorry for what I put you through, I hate myself for being so selfish and careless. I love you, Jojo and Granny so much. I can't lose you guys again.... I lost my mind. Please let me be here for you again. I miss going to your basketball games, playin' ball at the park, and you helpin' me at the shop. Please...". I  look up at her. I love my Mom to death even after everything she did; I missed her more than anything. And I want her to be in Josiah's life. I want her to be in my life.
" I forgive you Ma, I love you". She smiles that beautiful smile I missed so much. We stand up and she pulls a chain out of her pocket. My basketball hoop chain.
" Someone stole the chain from me a while ago but I got this new one made. It's not the same as before but I hope you like it." I smile at her, take it, and put it on.
" It's perfect." Then she pulls me back in a hug. Granny pulls up and her and Jojo hop out of the car. I feel Jojo pull on my pants leg.
" JJ why you and mommy cry, he asks me.
" We're happy lil bro, we're a family again." Granny picks Jojo up and gives him to Mom. We all hug eachother tight; not ready to let this moment fade. I look up to the sky.
" Thankyou God, for bringing my Mama back safe, healthy and clean, thankyou for saving my family."

Hey guys!!! Sorry I haven't been uploading. I've been busy with school and haven't had much time. But I'm back. Kayla and Lucas's story will resume. Please continue to read, vote, share and comment. Shout out to all my readers- shy 💙