19

All thoughts of Liam vanished from my head as my father practically ran over to me and enveloped me into a hug.

"Oh Sienna." He muttered stroking my hair. I felt like I couldn't breathe as I clutched onto my dad for dear life. All the horrible possibilities running through my head.

"Mom was admitted last night." He croaked out.

"Why weren't you back in New York?" I questioned and my dad shook his head.

"Your mother-she, she wanted to wait to see if you would be okay. After the gala she was worried. We planned to leave yesterday after you phoned us but your mother felt terribly ill.." My mind flashed back to my last phone call to my parents. It was the day before yesterday and I remember her telling me about her bad headaches. Why didn't I say something? Tell her to get a check up, anything.

I could've prevented this.

I immediately scolded myself. My mom wouldn't want me to do this. There's no way of knowing that the headaches had anything to do with this. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"Oh god dad." I murmured hugging him tighter. Tears ran down my cheeks and I couldn't think straight as I stood there clinging onto my dad. All I could think about was my mom, laying in a hospital bed all by herself.

Nathan's POV

Twenty minutes later both twins were sitting in their high chairs, crying. "Shhh," I murmured, as I stirred both of their dinners. I tried each one, making sure it wasn't too hot.

"Here we go!" I announced as I have a spoonful to Nina. She instantly stopped crying but Tyler started to cry louder at his sister getting dinner and not him. I knew I needed an extra person but Sienna still wasn't around. I reluctantly stopped what I was doing and decided to call her.
No answer.

Huffing, I walked back over to the twins and struggled to feed each one. Where the hell is Sienna? A voice gnawed at me that I should try calling her again but I knew, there was no point. I knew she had no work today and Hailey and Scott were at Hailey's parents so my only conclusion was she was with Liam. I never thought I would be jealous of my little cousin.

"Nathan!" I jumped and turned to the doorway of the kitchen to see a man I vaguely recognised. He had a key jangling from his finger and I gave him an odd look at the random intrusion. What the..?

"Your..?" Questions swam in my head and I knew they guy looked, oddly familiar but I couldn't pinpoint it.

"You really don't remember me? I guess the Cortés family is really large. I'm Leo. Sienna gave me a spare key..." He trailed off awkwardly and I nodded quickly as I recognized Leo, one of Sienna's brothers.

"Ah, apologies. Sienna's not home right now." I replied but he just nodded.

"I'm not actually here to see her. I'm here to talk to you." He looked serious and I remember Sienna telling me how much of a party animal her brothers were. This is very different.

"Me? Why?" I started to think something serious could be wrong with Sienna but his next sentence reassured me.

"You work with the Anderson company, right?" I shook my head and he gave me a wide eyed look.

"You don't? I thought-"

"I quit. What did you want with the company anyway?" Leo seemed to stare at his feet for a minute before he mumbled something under his breath.

"What?" I questioned and he spoke up this time.

"I'm looking for a job. I just.. I can't rely on my parents anymore. I'm twenty four, almost twenty five. I need to get my act together. It's just- it's hard. Marcus doesn't have the same view. He thinks we're fine. I don't, especially with my moms treatments." I nodded, silently admiring him.

"I can help you get a job but I don't think, The Anderson company is a great place to start. Believe me, nobody in their right mind wants to work there." He nodded and I pulled out my computer, Sienna's absence completely slipping my mind.

Sienna's POV

It was extremely quiet in the waiting room. Seb, Maria and Eliza had no idea about the state mom is in right now and dad wants to keep it that way. They were all staying at a hotel room and when mom fainted, dad and her were out. Dad of course called and said they were caught up with business colleagues. I knew they were fine as soon as dad told me that they were all at the hotel pool. It gave me a guilty feeling knowing I was lying to them but it was for the best. No point in having the whole Cortés family inside the waiting room panicking.
Mom will be fine.

She will be fine.

"Family of Miranda Cortés?" Dad and I both jumped up to the surgeon, who had a light smile gracing her features.

"Miranda is stable, she.." I trailed off as I focused on nothing other than my mom being stable.
Being okay.

She explained mom's surgery, and even though I was training to be a nurse, her words went in one ear and out another. I couldn't understand any of it. I hadn't realised I was crying until the surgeon had left and my dad pulled me into a hug. "Sienna, what's wrong?" He questioned am I shook my head. "I'm fine. I'm just.. shocked and relived." He nodded and started speaking. I felt bad for tuning out but the fear was still bubbling in my stomach.

When I found out my mom had cancer I knew if she ever died.. I would be crushed. But having that fear of her nearly dying and actually experiencing it, I don't know how I'll actually deal with it. I expected my mom to live a lot longer than now, she's only met four of her grandchildren, you can tell with the rest of us there's gonna be a whole lot more. I hoped she would be around for that but with six months?
How am I going to deal with losing her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter up a day late but hope I can be forgiven! I'm cleaning up my whole story an editing but don't worry! I am not making major changes!

Also thanks for all the votes : )

You guys make my day! 💘