Chapter 4 (Edited)

A/N: Any theories?

______________________________________________________________________

I took a deep breath and looked at my mate. I wanted to smile, but the look that he was giving me told me that he was not as happy as I was.

"Kyler," he said, his voice deep. His voice sent an involuntary shiver running through my spine, causing a ghost of a smirk to appear on his lips. "It is... good to see you."

I took a deep breath and nodded my head. My heart was thundering in my chest, and all I wanted to do was claim him as my own. "You as well," I said, "even though we had seen each other last week and the week after that."

A small, barely visible, smile flickered on his face before his whole face went blank. "I need to talk to you, privately."

I hesitantly nodded my head and let him lead me away from the party. I could feel my mother's gaze on me as Andrei lead me away, and I didn't look back because I knew that if I did, then I would run to her.

Andrei lead me to a quiet part away from everyone and rubbed the bridge of his nose and sighed. He opened his mouth to say something before closing it, shaking his head. "Look... Kyler, I don't think that we are going to work out."

I raised an eyebrow and took my hand from his. I caught the sad look in his eyes, but it disappeared before I could understand why. "Let me guess, you don't think we will work out because you are a Vampire and I am a Wolf, you are also going to be king while I don't know my rank. It was probably going to be Luna or Beta Female, maybe even Alpha."

Andrei opened his mouth to say something, maybe even deny what I said but didn't. He closed his mouth and stood up straighter. "I, Andrei Ramonov, reject you, Kyler Pierce, as my mate and queen. Have a nice life." Without letting me do anything, Andrei walked away.

I watched as he left and pursed my lips. My heart ached, but I couldn't help but feel slightly relieved, like a part of me that something was happening to him and he was trying to protect me.

I bit snorted and shook my head, hating the fact that I sounded stupid. How could he protect me by rejecting me? Mates were supposed to be for life, and it was rare to have a second chance.

"Well, it won't do me any good to pine after him," I muttered, moving a hand through my hair. I shook my head and huffed, walking towards my room. I wasn't in the mood to party and wanted to just curl up in a fluffy blanket and sleep.

Thankfully, that was my type of party.

***

I moved a towel through my brown curls decked in a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and fluffy socks. My body was slightly relaxed from my shower and the few minutes that I let myself cry over a boy that didn't want me.

After tossing the towel over my desk chair, I moved to my window seat and opened the top. A box carved with different runes on the lid and body stood there, old with age. Inside the box, laid a dagger that Grandma Tabitha and Grandma Willow had made for me and given it to me for my sixth birthday, much to my dad's dismay.

A small smile appeared on my lips as I took it out of the box and studied the ruins of a language that I was forbidden to learn. I took the dagger out of its sheath and looked at the blade, studying the hard work that was placed in it. It was deadly to almost all Supernatural creatures, except for Gods

The dagger had a name, something that most daggers made by witches and Faes had. It's names was Lamina or Bloodlust. It did call for blood, blood of people that wronged me, but I was able to control it.

I knew about my mother's past, about how she got the white scars on her arms and how Dad was "forced" to wrong her. I was curious, to be honest, how it felt to cut and see the blood pooling from my skin. I was curious about the pain and wondered if it would help cure this... emptiness inside of me.

However, I knew that I couldn't explore it. I had promised my mother that I wouldn't follow in her steps but talk to someone about anything that was bothering me. But, I didn't just receive her good looks, I got her insecurities about talking about myself, and I hated it.

With a heavy heart, I sheathed my dagger and placed it back in it's box. "Too bad I can't use this on Andrei," I muttered, closing the lid.

A snort sounded behind me, causing me to jump and turn around to see a shadow staring at me intensely. Pain filled the blue eyes that looked like my mate's, but I knew it wasn't him. It wasn't him to stop me feeling like this, and I didn't know why I was pining after him.

A blush appeared on my face as I stared at the man I called Grandfather (much to his dislike) and cleared my throat. "I wasn't going to..." I trailed off when he held his hand, silencing me.

"I know," he said, stepping out of the shadows, his accent thick. Grandpa Vulcan stared at me, a look between a grieving parent and a guilty kid. He stood tall and cleared his throat, his face becoming a mask. "I would like to say Happy Birthday but..."

I shrugged my shoulder and forced a smile on my face. "How is everything at the kingdom?" I asked, brushing of his worried look.

Grandpa Vulcan scowled, narrowing his eyes at me. "Don't be like your mother," he scowled.

A small smirk appeared on my face as I tried to stop from crying. Not only was he my "adopted grandfather", but he was my Godfather. If anything happened to my parents, he and Grandma Meridia were the one that would raise us. "It's hard when I have her face," I replied, causing the old man to chuckle.

Vulcan walked over to me and pulled me into a hug. His arms made me feel secure, and all I wanted to do was cry.

I took a deep, shuddering breath and cleared my throat. "Andrei rejected me," I whispered, my voice cracking.

Grandpa Vulcan's body relaxed a bit. "Good," he said.

I pulled away from him and gave him a weird look. "How is that "good"?" I asked, causing the older male to stare at me with wide eyes.

"I-I-"

"Well?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Do I have to guess?"

There was a knock on my door, and my mother opened it. She studied me in Grandpa Vulcan's arms, and I think she knew that Andrei rejected me. Why she didn't go apeshit crazy on him, I didn't know, and I did not want to find out. Her hand was on her stomach, and that caught my attention.

"It is good," she said, causing me to look at her in the eyes, "because I have a job for you, if you are up for a challenge, that is."