Chapter 45

"Ok, so now that that is done, what are we going to do about Adam and Cornelius?" Theodore asked.

"You're going to get them into the box," I replied. "I want to ask them some questions and try to confirm that they do know what had happened. If I can, then it'd be a heck of a lot easier to get them not controlled."

"And if they don't?" Theodore asked. "What then?"

"Uh, I'll come up with Plan B later," I replied. "So, can you go get them?"

Theodore hesitated but nodded. "Ok," he said. He smiled at his mate before he left, going to get them as I had asked.

"Do you have a plan B if this doesn't work?" Cromwell asked, raising an eyebrow. "What will you do then?"

I shrugged and pursed my lips. "I'm going to wing it," I replied. "However, I think I know which questions that I need to ask to see if they're going to be controlled." I looked at my grandmother. "Can you make me some truth serum?" I asked, and she nodded.

"I will get that to you as soon as I can," she promised. "I think I have some left over for a different reason, but I don't know if it will be enough for them." She smiled and left the room, going to the basement, and I watched her.

My grandfather cleared his throat, and I turned to look at him. There was a small scowl on his face, and all I did was roll my eyes, which caused the scowl to deepen. "So, what questions are you going to ask?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "And, are you sure that they know the actual answer?"

I licked my lips and shifted on my feet. Stuffing my hands into my pockets, I cleared my throat and licked my lips again. I was nervous because I had no idea if they would agree with what I wanted to ask. I had no idea if they would tell me to ask something different, but I knew that some of these questions could be useful even with the truth serum.

"Well?" my grandfather pressed. "What are they?"

"Family," I replied. "Their actual rank because I think that they know that they are supposed to be switched."

My grandfather nodded his head. "There is something else you want to ask." He gave me a pointed look and studied me, waiting for me to confirm what he knew I was hiding. "What is it?"

I took a deep breath and felt nervous. I had no idea why I had this hunch, this feeling, but I did, and I was nervous as to how my grandfather would react, especially since it did deal with the heir to another throne.

My grandfather scowled when I didn't answer, and annoyance flashed through his eyes. "Speak," he warned, narrowing his eyes while something flashed through them. "What is it that you want to ask?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Mates," I said finally. "I want to ask about mates."

I was met with silence, and I opened my eyes to see my grandfather and Cromwell look at each other and then at me. No one said a word, and I knew that they were waiting for me to tell them why I wanted to know about mates.

"I know that I know about Cornelius's mate," I said, finally. "I know that it is Tasha, but I am more concerned about Adam's mate."

"Do you know who she is?" my grandfather asked, raising an eyebrow. "If so. Who is she?"

I shook my head, not liking the fact that my grandfather assumed that Adam's mate was female, even though I didn't know either and just had a hunch. "That is why I am bringing him here," I replied. "Or at least o-"

The sound of breaking glass behind me stopped me from talking, and I turned in that direction to see Orion staring at me with wide eyes and a pale face.

"O-"

"Who are you bringing here?" Orion asked, his voice barely above a whisper. His heart thundered in his chest, and I heard it skip a beat as a glimmer of hope filled his system.

"Adam and Cornelius," I replied. I cocked my head and studied him, my hunch becoming slightly stronger when Orion "tensed" at Adam's name. "Why?"

"Nothing, j-just wondering," he replied. He looked away and didn't meet my gaze. He was nervous, anxious, and I had a feeling that what I thought was true.

I nodded. "Well, you are staying here," I said. "I could use your help with this."

Orion shook his head no and smiled apologetically. "I can't," he said. "Mom just called and said that I-"

"Ok, I am going to stop you right there because I know that comment is a complete and total lie," I said, interrupting him with a wave of my hand. "I know that your mom didn't just contact you. You are trying to leave before they come over here."

Orion opened his mouth to say something but closed it, knowing full well that I had caught him. Slowly, he nodded his head and looked away from me. "But do you really think that it is a good idea that they are in here?"

"Well, considering that they will not have a way back in, then yes," I replied. "However, it could change if Grandma Tabitha deems it fit."

Orion sighed and sat down in one of the seats. He moved his hands through his hair and grimaced.

"Why do you not want him to be in here?" I asked, studying the male before me. "Why do you not want him in the Between?"

"Because I don't think he is fit to be in here," he replied, looking up at me. His eyes were dull, and I could pick up on some pain as if one of them had hurt him a long time ago. "Why bring someone new into the Between when they could hurt us, hurt you?"

Cromwell stood up quickly and knocked the chair against the wall. Pain and sadness filled his eyes when we turned our gaze to him. "So, you don't like it that I am here either?" he asked, the hurt prominent in his voice. "Is that what this is? I hadn't done anything to her or you."

Orion's eyes grew wide, and he looked at me and then at Cromwell. His face grew pale, and I could tell that he didn't mean to hurt Cromwell's feelings. "No," he said. "W-W-What I mean i-i-i-is..." He sighed and leaned forward, looking down at his hands. "Sorry..." he mumbled. "I'm just not really sure that I... want to be in here while they're here."

"Why not?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I cocked my head and studied him, noting the fact that he didn't meet my gaze. I was curious as to why he didn't want to be in here and wondered if it had something to do with what one of them meant to him.

Orion mumbled something under his breath before he shook his head. "Never mind," he said finally after he had cleared his throat. He licked his lips and stood before he looked at me, silently begging me to let him go and get out of this conversation. "I will stay, but is it ok if I go back to my room? I-I think I need some time for myself."

Concern filled my body for my cousin, and I nodded my head. "You may," I said. "Just... don't do anything stupid. Please?"

Orion smiled tiredly and nodded. His eyes were dull and filled with pain, and I had a feeling that he was rejected like me. However, he didn't have an inkling as to why he was rejected. "I won't," he promised. "Excuse me." And with that, he bowed his head and left, leaving me feeling very confused and worried.

Goddess, please protect Orion, I silently prayed, biting my lip. The worry grew stronger in the pit of my stomach, and it felt like a lump appeared in my throat while I watched the back of the man that had left the room. Please.