Chapter 35 (Edited)

I placed the dagger down and picked up the book. I caught my grandfather tensing from the corner of my eye and frowned as I looked at him. "What?" I asked, furrowing my brow and frowning. Worry filled my body because I had no idea why my grandfather was looking like that.

"Don't open it," he said, causing Cromwell to stare at him in shock. His voice was grave, and I could hear this bit of tiredness in it that caused me to put the book down again.

"What the hell?" he asked. "Are you serious?"

"Yes," he replied. He set his jaw. "This doesn't concern you, Cromwell," he said. "Leave it alone."

Cromwell opened his mouth in shock. Anger filled his eyes as he set his jaw, and I could feel this power coming off of him as well. "This does concern me," he said, his voice hard and cold. He pointed at me. "She is my n-"

"Enough!" Grandpa Fernos yelled, causing both of us to jump back away from him. He gritted his teeth and hissed, the sound causing Cromwell to submit but for some reason, it didn't cause me to bow.

I stuffed my hands into my pocket and felt the necklace in there. "Grandpa Fernos?" I asked, instantly coming up with a plan that could save Cromwell's ass.

"Not now," he hissed, not turning to look at me.

"Ok..." I said, shifting in my seat and getting half way up. "Then... I guess I will take everything to my room and not tell you what Andrei had gotten me for my birthday..."

That caused Grandpa Fernos to stop glaring at Cromwell and turn his gaze to me. His eyes were red and half of his face was slowly peeling away to reveal his Demon Form.

I stared at him with unblinking eyes not even phased by this. I had been through this face of his many times that it didn't freak me out like it would have.

Keeping my eyes locked on him, I started to go cross-eyed and did the Cheshire Grin that I was known for.

"The hell?" Cromwell asked underneath his breath as we both stared at each other unblinking and waiting for the other person to make a move.

"You'll get used to it," Grandma Tabitha said, walking in. "Awww, you opened the box without me? Rude."

"He was wanting me to get it done without any other interruptions," I said, still keeping my gaze on my grandfather.

"She was going to do Andrei's gift without me," Grandpa Fernos said, his face slowly becoming normal. He finally closed his eyes and turned to look away, causing me to blink and rub my eyes.

"Sh- Yes, she would. I shouldn't say anything. Orion is taken care of, Ky. All of the Drïdin has been poured out. I told his mom that he was here and you would take care of him. She is annoyed with him."

I nodded my head. "Good, thank you."

Grandma Tabitha smiled and nodded her head. She held out her hand, and I instantly took the necklace out of my pocket and gave it to her. "Have you even inspected it?" she asked, moving the necklace around in her hands.

I shook my head no. "I didn't even know that there was a letter in it until it opened by itself. The Prophet was rather scared."

Grandma Tabitha frowned and nodded her head. "I would be too," she said. Her hands started to glow a soft white light while her brown eyes turned gold.

The necklace glowed a brilliant golden color that caused me to cover my eyes before it dimmed.

"It's safe," she said, handing it to me. "Wear it and never take it off."

"Just like the other necklaces that I have on," I said, taking it from her. I studied the necklace that Andrei had given me, my heart aching.

On the front of the necklace, Andrei had placed our initials, KRP & AKR, engraved in a smaller heart. On the back, there was a date, the date symbolizing our first kiss from a dare that we had done one rainy night.

"Open it," my grandmother said, softly. She watched as I nodded my head and opened the necklace.

Inside were two pictures, both of them of us when we were younger. One of them, I was about seven and he was six. I was kissing his cheek much to his demise and my pleasure because he had presented me with a pretty flower after I had been feeling down. Somehow, my mom was there to catch the exact moment that he did it.

The other one was taken two years ago. In this one, I was on his back clutching his waist with my legs. One of my arms was wrapped around his shoulders while the other was holding my phone.

My face was pressed up against his, and I was smiling while he was scowling. He was looking at the phone as well while I took his photo.

After I had taken the photo, I ran away from him cackling like a maniac with him following me. I had sent the photo to my mother just as he caught me and had deleted the photo from both my mom's messaging and my phone before walking away.

My mom sent it back via text, both us knowing that he would do it, and I had saved it as my home screen ever since.

"How did he get this?" I asked. "He "deleted" it from my phone."

"Same way as you got yours back," Grandma Tabitha said. "Now, put it on and take out the letter. Do you know what it says?"

"I know the stuff that doesn't look like shit," I said, putting the necklace around my neck. "I don't know the secret message."

"Why don't you?" my grandfather asked, causing me to give him a weird look.

"Uh... because I had been busy?" I asked. "I think that is a very good reason why I do not know the secret message. And, because it looks like shit."

"Put everything up and take out the letter. See what the message says," he said, causing me to scowl.

"Yes, Sir," I said. "Am I to put the insignia on? If so how?"

My grandfather tossed a black string in front of me. "Use that," he said.

I huffed and nodded my head. I placed everything up and closed the box before starting weave the piece around the symbol. "What about the key?"

"I have a small pouch for you that I don't want you to take off. You can put it in there," My grandmother said, causing me to nod my head.

"Do you have a piece of paper and a pen?" I asked, causing her to nod her head.

"Yes, why?" she asked, presenting a pen and paper.

I took the letter out of my pocket and showed it to her. "That is why."

My grandmother cringed. "Good luck," she said.

"Thanks. I'm going to need it because this letter sucks."