Chapter 41

A/N: I am sorry for not updating yesterday. It's was a shitty day. -.- I am so done with this week that it isn't even funny. xD

Date of next chapter: September, 26th 2019

______________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, I was up early, practicing my powers because I hadn't been able to do it while there. I watched the water flow from one hand to the other, following the path that I created, moving left to right and right left.

My breathing was even and leveled while I concentrated on the water and nothing else. I had to be calm if I wanted the water to do what I wanted to do, and it helped calm my raging mind because it was peaceful.

Unlike fire, water worked better if I was calm and collected. I had to ask it to do what I wanted to do, and if I didn't ask it gently, then all it would do was stay in its form and waited for me to calm down before it did what I wanted it to do in the first place.

"I see that you are better at controlling your emotions," someone said behind me. "How is your training going?"

"Good," I said. I moved my hand to the left, and the water went to the left. "It doesn't like me getting angry."

The person chuckled and moved to my side, and from a glance, I could tell that it was Clarissa. She watched me practice with the water, creating shapes and sending the water in different directions at different speeds. "Well, fire is your strongest element," she said, and I nodded. "Do you think you can teach someone their powers?" she asked.

I lost concentration when she asked that, and the water fell to the ground. "What?" I asked, turning to look at her shocked. I furrowed my brows and cocked my head, studying her. "What do you mean?"

My heart pounded nervously in my chest, and I had no idea if I was ready to teach anyone what I had learned with my power. I knew that I would be able to because I had helped Keagen with his power over water but to a stranger?

No, I was not ready.

There was still a lot that I needed to learn, to teach myself because my power was ever-changing like the water itself. It didn't stay constant, sometimes having a mind of its own while I tried to do something that I had done before but couldn't do again. It also depended on my mood if I was angry, hurt, upset, or at peace. It wasn't something that I could control all at once, something that I liked but didn't like at the same time.

Clarissa studied me, her face grave. "You will be tasked with training someone how to use their powers," she said. She raised her hand, and I instantly closed my mouth. "I am not at liberty to say who, when, where, or why. All I can tell you is that you will be training someone."

I pursed my lips and nodded slowly. I wished I knew this information, but I knew that she couldn't say it with the fear of it changing the future. "Could you tell me what would happen if I fucked it up?" I asked, rubbing the back of my neck.

Clarissa's gaze softened while she studied me, and she looked as if she understood my thoughts and my fears. "I don't think you will want to know," she said softly. "What I can tell you is that you will not "fuck it up." You are a strong girl, Ky, and able to adapt to your situations and take things in stride."

Slowly, I nodded. "But there is a chance that I could fuck it up."

"There is always a chance to fuck something up," she reprimanded, "and it doesn't have to come from you."

I shifted on my feet and bit my bottom lip while I thought about what she had said. "Are we following that path?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

Clarissa's face turned graver, and she slowly nodded. "It is a possibility," she replied. "Half of it has been set, but not all of it is set in stone."

"Well," I said, nodding my head, slowly. I bounced on my feet and clapped my hands, nervously. "I guess that means I have to get ready for whatever. I just hope that I will be ready for it."

"You will be," Clarissa promised. She offered me a grim smile and nodded. "I see it in your eyes." She cleared her throat and licked her lips. "Come, everyone is almost awake. It is time to see what information your uncle and cousin had given you."

"Will it be enough?"

She became grave and started to walk towards the house, and I followed her, knowing that she needed time to think of an answer before she replied to my question. "I hope so," she replied solemnly. She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye before she looked forward. "I really hope so."

***

The information that we had was not enough. There were many plot holes, dates not lining up, and a lot of stuff not making sense while we looked at the information that was provided.

This lead Emmanuel and Theodore to argue and argue, and I could tell that both men were becoming frustrated with each other.

"So? Tell us!" Emmanuel exclaimed. "You both live there. You should know your pack history and not just the names of the Alphas. Ky knows hers." He gestured to me, but I didn't care while I studied two books that were in front of me, listening to them with half of my attention just to make sure that they didn't kill each other.

"Well, good for her," Theodore said sarcastically. He rolled his eyes before he glared at Emmanuel. "I am telling you. I know just as much as you. I don't know why the pack is the way that it is. I don't know why this stuff had happened."

"I-"

"Hey, Grams? Come here for a bit, will ya?" I asked, interrupting him. I moved the books to the side before I grabbed a notepad and pencil and started to write out a list that had to deal with the past Alphas of that pack.

"What is it?" Grandma Tabitha asked, walking over to me from where she was reading one of the books.

I didn't reply and stopped writing on a piece of paper. Something didn't feel right about the names. I had no idea what it was, but I knew that something was different.

"Ky?" my grandmother pressed gently. "What is it?"

"Take a look at these names," I said gesturing to an old copy of past Alphas as well as a newer version of past Alphas. The page was on the White Tongue Pack, and I think that something had changed between them when they were made, but I didn't know what. "Do you see anything different?"

My grandmother knelt to my level and studied the two books before her. "Paper," she said, and I instantly gave it to her. She looked at the list that I had made and nodded. "Hmmmm." She nodded again.

"What?" Theodore and Emmanuel asked in unison.

"The names have been changed in the older versions with magic," Grandma Tabitha said. She set the notepad down and slid it over to Theodore. "Does this look good to you?"

Theodore looked at the list of Alphas and nodded. "Yes," he replied. "Those are the past Alphas."

"Who is the next one?"

"Derick Vander," he said instantly. "He is the great-grandfather to the current K- er Alpha."

Grandma Tabitha sighed and shook her head. "I am afraid that it is not true," she said solemnly. "I am afraid that there was supposed to be a different Alpha."

Theodore furrowed his brows and cocked his head. "What?" he asked. "Bu-"

"But you were lied to. All of you were. Derick Vander wasn't an Alpha of the pack, at least he wasn't born into it."

"Then who was?"

Grandma Tabitha muttered something under her breath and gesture her hand across the book.

The words shimmered and rearranged themselves until they showed the true lineage of the pack.

"Him," Grandma Tabitha said, pointing to a name after she twisted it around so that both Theodore and Emmanuel could see it. "He is the true Alpha."