Chapter 20

The creature was about fifteen feet long with maybe half of its body wrapped up like a snake about to strike. The skin on this creature was scaley with white and black stripes, circling over its entire body. The creature, who I think was a she, stared at me with unblinking eyes and cocked her head. "Well?" she asked. "Scared?" She moved towards me at a fast pace, causing me to back up a step and get into a defensive position.

The creature reared back, and I could see a look of hurt on her face. "You are. I told you that you would be."

I relaxed my body and stared at her. I could feel this power coming off of her in waves and had a feeling that she was ancient. "No," I replied, softly. "I do not like people moving at me quickly. I get defensive even when they make no move to strike."

She cocked her head and moved around me. "And, why?" she asked. "What made you so... defensive?"

I glanced at her through the corner of my eye. "You already know," I replied, having a feeling. "Why do you want me to answer when you do?"

"Because admitting something is better than hiding," she replied. "But you, you have a lot to hide. Don't you?"

"Considering that a lot of people outside of my pack do not know about my powers, then yes," I replied. "And, I am sure that you will not tell anyone?" I raised my eyebrow, causing her to chuckle.

"You are in no position in to threaten me," she said, moving until she was behind me. "I could kill you with a swipe of my hand." She lashed out at me but stopped when I grabbed her wrist. She didn't pull away, but she did hiss as if she was in pain.

I let go of her and watched as she backed away and clutched her wrist. Guilt flickered on my face when I saw the look of pain on her face. "Are you ok?" I asked, hesitantly. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

The thing shook her head. "Don't be," she hissed, rubbing her wrist. She let go of her wrist, letting me see that there was a burn mark on it. "I should have known that you had spells placed on your skin."

I cocked my head and furrowed my brows. I knew that Grandpa Fernos had placed some protecting runes on my skin, but from what I had gathered, they shouldn't have hurt her. Would they?

"Your... grandfather isn't the only one that had left runes on your skin," the creature said. "That is why it makes you more dangerous than the others."

"The others?" I asked, furrowing my brow. "What others?"

"The Siran," she replied. "A great leader and a bringer of hope." She moved around me. "They are said to be more powerful than the Red Wolf."

I furrowed my brows but stayed silent. I was confused with what she was trying to say, trying to get at. I mean, I wasn't much of a leader, and I had no idea how I was able to bring hope.

She studied me. "You don't believe that you are worthy," she said.

I took a deep breath and let it out. "It's not that..." I replied, moving a hand through my hair. "But, I am not really a leader. And... I don't know how I bring hope to someone." I furrowed my brows. "Does this have to do with the symbol on the door?"

She nodded. "Yes," she replied. "And, you have no idea how much of a leader you are, do you?" she asked, studying me. "I can see all things good and bad. I have watched you since the day that you were born. You are different and far more important than what you think."

"Kinda like my mom?" I asked after a moment's pause.

She nodded, again. "Just like your mother but far greater." She moved around me. "You bring many people hope. You just don't realize it. Why do you think your mother sent you?"

"To... get me away from my mate?" I asked, stuffing my hands into my pockets. I moved onto the back of my heels as I waited for her to answer.

She shook her head. "You have great power inside of you, and it isn't just what you have inherited from your parents." She held out her hand and a key appeared. "Show this to Fernos and tell him that it is time. He will give you the information that you need."

I hesitated and took the key. It felt like it was going to be heavy, but it wasn't. The key was all black, and I noticed the same symbol on the key as on the door. "Aren't you going to ask if I accept my fate?" I asked, moving my finger across the symbol.

"You already have," she said, causing me to pause.

I looked at her, frowning. "I have?" I asked, causing her to nod. I looked down at the key, and I knew that I had. I had no idea what a Siran does, but I had a feeling that they helped people. "I guess I have."

She nodded her head. "Then, you may leave," she said. She moved a bit to show me where my dagger laid. "You make take it and keep it on you. Never take it off."

"But what if we meet again?" I asked. I walked over to my dagger and picked it off of the floor. "I am sure you would rather me have it off than on." I placed it on and looked at her, seeing a smile on her face.

"We will meet," she hummed. "But, it will not be in this form."

I furrowed my brows. "Then what form?" I asked.

She didn't answer. All she did was shake her head and back up.

After that, I didn't remember what had happened because everything turned black.