Chapter 27 (Edited)

I handed the bag to Clarissa and walked to the music box. I knelt down in front of it and lifted the top. I could feel Theodore peering over my shoulder, but I didn't care.

"Is that it?" he asked, seeing the ballerina figure. He pursed his lips in disgust. "How are we supposed to get to Between with that?"

"Like this," I replied. I turned the figurine two times to the left and four times to the right. After that, I lifted the music box up and twisted the knob until it clicked and set it back down.

"Ok, now what?" Theodore asked when I closed the lid.

"I open it, and there should be a ladder that leads down to Between," I said. I opened the music box and looked down to see that there was a ladder. "Yep." I nodded my head and looked at Tasha. "Wanna go first?"

Tasha hesitated but nodded her head. She walked forward after I had moved and pushed back a shocked Theodore. She grabbed my hand and stepped into the music box, twisting her body until she felt the ladder step and started to climb down.

"Who's next?" I asked, looking at Clarissa and Theodore. I noticed that Theodore was looking at the music box fearfully and understood.

"I'll go," Clarissa said. She took a step forward and was about to put her foot in the music box only to be stopped by Theodore. Her brown eyes were wide as she looked down at the white hand that contrasted from her dark skin. Her heart picked up speed, pounding a faster rhythm.

"No," Theodore said, staring into her eyes. Longing filled his eyes, and I knew that he wanted to claim her as his own. "I'll go."

Clarissa hesitated but nodded her head. "Please," she whispered. "Let go of me, so I can move out of your way."

Theodore hesitated but nodded his head. He let go of her arm, and Clarissa backed away from the music box. With one lasting look at Clarissa, he grabbed my hand and started to follow Tasha down the ladder.

After his curly brown hair disappeared from view, I held my hand out for Clarissa to take. "Accept him," I said, causing her to look at me with big doe eyes filled with fear. I offered her a smile.

"I can't," she whispered. She licked her lips and looked down. "I..."

"I know," I replied. "But whatever happened to Amelia Grace and Ida might not happen to you and Theodore. Can you see your or his fate?"

Hesitantly, she shook her head.

"Then accept him. He wants to be with you. He doesn't care that you are the prophet."

"But that look..."

"He felt rejected all over again." I offered her a small smile. "He does want to be with you."

Clarissa frowned and nodded her head. "Ok," she whispered, moving a hand through her black hair. "I trust you. I will accept him."

"You're going to have to hide your relationship though," I warned. "It seems to me that this place is not accepting of interracial mateships."

Clarissa shook her head. "They aren't," she said. "I know that first hand," she muttered. Her eyes held this deep sadness in them, and I could sense this longing coming off of her.

"Your parents?" I guessed, causing her to hesitate but nod. "You can trust me with anything. You know that right?" I asked.

Clarissa nodded her head. "I know," she said, softly. She sighed and moved a hand through hair, looking very conflicted.

"Go on down. We don't want to be late."

Clarissa nodded her head and started to go down. She stopped when her whole body was gone and only her head was visible. "Thank you," she said, smiling at me.

I nodded and smiled back at her. "My pleasure."