Chapter 57

I walked in between the two men with my head held high and power radiating off of me with every single step that I took.

I wore the dress they had brought for me, a black dress with a bare back for easy access with the full force of a whip. My feet were cladded in soft shoes that did nothing to protect me from the uneven path we walked upon.

I muttered a soft curse when I struck my big toe against a sharp edge and sliced open the shoe and my foot.

One of the guards grabbed my arm when I stumbled and helped me stay standing. "Are you ok?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I hate soft soled shoes," was my reply. "I am glad that the rock was the first thing to draw blood and not some psychopath with a whip."

The guard nodded. "I am, too," he replied. He looked behind him and then back at me. "Your foot is bleeding pretty badly. Should we stop and make sure that it is taken care of?"

I shook my head, no. "We can't be late or else the two of you will be punished," I replied. I ignored the pain in my foot and kept walking as I had walked beforehand. I didn't need the people to see me limping, even though my foot was cut open.

"Y-"

"It's fine," I said, interrupting him. I glared and narrowed my eyes, and the male bowed his head. "Do not push me when I say no. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Alpha," he said.

I took a deep breath and relaxed while I turned to look in the direction we were going. "I'm sorry," I said. "I'm stressed, is all, and I know that we won't have time to stop. If we stop, now..." I shrugged and grimaced.

The male nodded. "I understand," he said. "I don't want your foot to get infected. You're going to need your strength."

I nodded. "I know that I will need it," I replied. I furrowed my brows and looked down, trusting the guards to keep me steady. "But I think that I need this to happen."

"What do you mean?" the guard asked, and I shook my head.

"I can't tell you," I replied. "I am not sure of it myself. If I ever figure it out, then I will tell you."

The guard nodded. "I will hold you to it," he said.

"Don't," the other guard warned, speaking for the first time. "Too much information could kill you."

"He's right. However, I am a person of my word and will kick anyone's ass who tries to harm the people that I have sworn to protect, so on my honor, I will tell you what I mean about letting my foot bleed." I looked at the other guard to see that he looked nervous and offered him a grim smile. "I will tell you as well. Don't worry about anyone who doesn't want you to know. I will deal with them."

The other guard nodded and stayed silent. His face grew grimmer when the sound of cheers filled our ears. His whole body was tense, and I knew that it was time to face the music of the pack. "I will hold you to that," he said. He looked at the other guard. "Let the grip on her arm loosen. Let them see the strong Alpha that she is."

The guard nodded and loosened his grip on my arm. He looked nervous, and I knew that he didn't want me to go through this. He wanted me to be protected, to not get beaten like the others wanted.

"It's written," I said, and he looked at me with guarded eyes. I nodded and offered him a grim smile. "It has to happen for what to happen next to fully succeed. Either way, he will not be able to break my spirit."

The guard nodded. "Of course, Alpha," he said. He squeezed my arm in a reassuring manner as if he wanted to reassure himself that I was alive and that I would still be alive and fight for what was right.